The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Don’t use either. When you can buy Winchester’s at the end of the season close outs for $2.50 a box it tells you about the quality of shell. I never tried the Black Cloud but I do use the Federals in the blue box for ducks In no. 3 shot and these shells flat out kill ducks. For geese I use my reloads. I can not get any factory shells at the speed that I reload except for the hyper Sonics and they are over priced. The slowest speed that I use for geese is 1575 FPS. most factory Goose loads go to slow for me. I hit the birds to far back with the slower loads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I usually use #2 but have been wanting to try #4 especially for teal. Maybe #3 is a happy medium here.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
He preferred to eat waterfowl shot with the Blindside as opposed to the WW because of the shape of the pellet?????? What? If he has a problem with pellet shape he should look at most of the non toxic shot out there. That should really get him upset.

BTW #4 steel works great for teal and woodies if the range is kept within 35 to 40 yards max. Some non toxic can stretch that distance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My old browning jap A5 and my new style A5 absolutely love black cloud and Hevi. I've used black cloud #4s for duck for the last 6 or 7 years, have used their BB loads for goose also and had good luck. Although, I tried a box of Hevi-X #6s for early season duck 2 years ago, absolutely crushed 3 different drake woodies and had them all fly off. Switched back to the black cloud's and havent had that happen since. I do really like the Hevi shot BB loads for geese, will continue to use them and may try out some other Hevi duck loads. I used Winchester white box duck loads one time and was not impressed. Accidentally grabbed a box of black cloud high velocity's last season and boy, you really dont need to lead much with those lol.

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
460 Posts
My old Remington 870 has NEVER hiccupped, except for when I used Black Cloud. Then it jammed left and right. As did 2 other Remingtons, 1 Browning, and 1 Stoeger in our group. When they did work, they really fouled up the barrels. So I prefer any shell other than black clouds. We typically use the Hevi Shot EnvironMetal or Kent FastSteel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts