The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a 22 ar to shoot indoors. What is the difference between using a conversion kit on an existing upper or buying a dedicated upper?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I would go with a dedicated upper. Most 556 AR barrels are going to be 1-7 to 1-9 twist. 90% of 22lr rifle ammo is going to shoot best with a 1-16 twist and a bore diameter around .218".

·
Registered
51 Posts
roboz is correct, but if you get a kit and it groups lets say 3" from a rest, you now know the capability of it. So if you're practicing, the goal would be to shoot as close to a 3" group as possible. My kids and I shoot with them (kits) quite often, it's still good training for practicing the 4 fundamentals of marksmanship. Just my thaught......
Good luck

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, any recommendations for a 22lr barrel that is cheap for a build?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Have you looked at AR 22s??? I don't know if they are worth it or what not...but I think I just saw m&p 22 for like 350$ at gander this evening...i could be mistaken..

Hard to beat a dedicated gun designed to shoot the round..

I don't pay attention to them to know what else may or may not be different etc..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I bought the s&w 15-22 for that purpose. I was going to build one with a dedicated spikes upper, but haven't yet since the s&w 15-22 runs without any hiccups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts