The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am intrested in all styles of hunting fishing trapping in perticular the difrences between my own country and the usa ,any good web sites or thoughts on this will be welcome

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
We are a vast country with many different styles of the way we do things. The way we hunt or fish in PA may be completely different then how they do it in Texas. Not really a easy question to answer. This website is mostly PA hunters and there are many different styles just within our state.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Perhaps if you explained the way hunting and trapping are done in the UK we can draw comparisons. As I have heard that hunting previuosly was a landed gentry sport and today it is a pay to hunt on private preserves. With guns being strictly controlled even farmers cannot shoot rats with a .22 because they are illegal so I've heard. True?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a myth that hunting was a landed gentry sport granted you need money to follow hounds on horseback as the upkeep and stable costs are not cheap but the vast amount of hunt followers were farmers and working men and women ..guns are strictly controlled but providing you are not a criminal and can show good reason for owning a firearm or shotgun then you will be granted a licence .22 are a popular rifle for shooting rabbits, rats ,squrills ,crows etc

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
What about larger game such as deer? Do you have public areas that are set aside for hunting or is it all private land? How big is archery for hunting?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Realized I never answered original question of hunting styles here in Pa.For me I hunt mostly suburban small acreage lots and do so by archery gear. Because we need to be 50yards from buildings I usually sit in a tree stand 15-20 feet in the air. Sometimes its from a ground blind. Early in the season (Sept. thru october the deer here are sort of patternable so you can usually see them regularly. Getting a shot inside of 40 yards, thats the hard part. When I do get to hunt the northern woods of Pa. with a rifle it is also on the ground or a treestand. A lot of deer camps here will put on drives with drivers pushing the woods while posters wait on the sides or ends of the parcel being pushed. This has been the 'traditional' way here for several generations. There really is no right or wrong way to hunt deer here, just depends on the property and the deer.
I also hunt pheasants. Very few wild pheasants here, the habitat is so small in Pa. for them that the Game commision raises and stocks the birdss in many areas. Out west in states like South Dakota there is good habitat for them and there are many wild birds. Again you use a dog to find and flush them. Squirrel hunting is also popular with shotgun or .22. It's mostly a waiting game for the bushytails to show themselves. Out in the western states there are many large game animals to hunt, Elk, Rams, Mule deer,bears. We also hunt bears in Pa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thing,s are very different here in the uk it is against the law to hunt on public land and to hunt with bow,s .all hunting takes place on private land but permisson is easy to come by if you go about things in the right way .we realese thousands of pheshants each year in the uk i woorked as a gamekeeper for many years on a mixed shoot of pheshant , partridge , duck , and grouse .

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
There is also a lot of duck and geese hunting sportsman here. There are several migration flyways across the country for waterfowl. They use boats,blinds,pits,layout covers for cover and decoys. serious hunters use hundreds of decoys to draw the birds in. Most of my duck hunting is by jump shooting along creeks and ponds at small farms where we have permission to hunt. Same property we can hunt deer,turkey,squirrel,doves and rabbits. I got to say some of us are fortunate enogh to have that privilige along with all hunters in the state who can hunt state gamelands. All of our money to maintain and operate public hunting land comes from a small tax on all hunting supplies and equipment we buy. Self supporting system. As far as I know no public tax money is used. How do you fund the release of all your gamebirds? Do you pay to hunt them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts