The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought about these 2 things when i was reading different responses on different forums.When you approach the Deer you just killed,did you ever stop to think you are the first human to touch that animal.That could apply to a grouse,rabbit or squirrel.The other thing is especially this time of year during the christmas season or anytime you visit a cemetary,when you read the headstones of family members or stones that you see as you walk around,do you ever say that persons name out loud.It might have been years or decades since someone said their name.Excuse me for being a little morbid but what are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Interesting,never thought about the deer thing.
But I have looked at the moon and thought that's the same moon that that everyone from the beginning of time has looked at,can't say that about to many things.
Not really the same thing your talking about but that's the strange things I think about sitting in my tree stand...LOL

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I can't say that I have thought this way, but you bring up some interesting points. I will probably be thinking about that the next time I am in one of those situations.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Macgee,welcome home from the sand box.Relax and enjoy the christmas season with family and friends.When i got home from Nam,the first thing i wanted was a mcdonald's strawberry shake.That's because i was to young to drink,LOL.Again Thank you for your service and everyone presently serving,and esp. the vets.MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I have thought about touching the animal first, but never saying names out loud.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I ALWAYS THINK OF STUFF LIKE THAT. KINDA LIKE WHEN YOUR SNEAKIN AND PEAKIN FOR DEER I ASK..."HAS ANY ONE EVER STOOD HERE AND JUST LOOKED AROUND? AM I THE FIRST? IT HELPS TO PASS THE TIME AND MAKE YOU THINK YOUR LIKE JERAMIAH JOHNSON (THE MOVIE) "THAT WILL BE FAR ENOUGH PILGRIM!!!"

·
Registered
509 Posts
I always think of the deer thing..........I also thought about how many other deer or bobcat, bear or hunters that deer has seen. I always think about what my favorite tree would tell me (if it could talk) about the biggest buck it has seen or how many hunters leaned against it before I was even born.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
This thread is getting some heavy responses, so here goes. I think about deer, rabbits, phesants whatever I have harvested with a mix of joy and sorrow with a realization that death is part of life and someday there I will go as well. Not being morbid, just realistic and in my own way understanding that all living things are connected. I am sensitive to the lives I take when hunting and I do not do it without a sense of respect and a bit of sorrow. Not for myself, I don't think - anyhow, but for life in general. Long, healthy and meaningful if we are lucky. Cemetary headstones have always fascinated me but not by the death of the person below and who they mark but by the life they may have had. The dreams, hurts, loves, losses and successes that made a life that, given a good writer, could be made into a best seller.

·
Premium Member
23,980 Posts
11B4PT2 said:
I just thought about these 2 things when i was reading different responses on different forums.When you approach the Deer you just killed,did you ever stop to think you are the first human to touch that animal.That could apply to a grouse,rabbit or squirrel.The other thing is especially this time of year during the christmas season or anytime you visit a cemetary,when you read the headstones of family members or stones that you see as you walk around,do you ever say that persons name out loud.It might have been years or decades since someone said their name.Excuse me for being a little morbid but what are your thoughts on this.
Animals have no correlation to Humans IMO. Did you touch that Frank Purdue Chicken you roasted, that McD 1/4 pounder sourced from a steer or that 22 LB Butterball you had for Thanksgiving!!

My only comment is that we responsibly harvest our game amongst our sportsmen ranks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
ive thought about that b4 to the animal thing that is ive also sat in the woods and looked around at times and thought about the pioneers or the indians that hunted and walked these same woods many years ago and just how much has changed in this world since there time

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I'm at camp in Forest County, I always try to imagine the land as the indians and early settlers saw it. I picture the area with no roads or maintained trails and wonder how the heck they got around with everything they would need to sustain. Folks look pretty weak when they complain about 2 inches of snow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts