The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I hate messing with skunks....but they are usually good for a fox on a remake of the set. My grandfather would take a shovel and bury the skunk, and firmly bed a trap above it. I never tried it, figured it would just promote digging.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
My dad would remove the skunk, make a fox set and then hang the skunk in a tree or a fence for a couple of days, then sell it in the round to the fur buyer who came to or house weekly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have dealt with 6 skunk this year. Last time I got it real good in the face. Got done deer hunting and still had all my clothes on. My clothes, all except for dad's hunting vest. I am no longer allowed to extract skunk essence and have to buy dad a new vest. He isn't buying the good cover scent idea.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Buddy and I were headed to a winter scout camp out. We checked the traps before we left. Had a skunk and didn't have time to fool with it. He threw it in his parents freeze in the basement and off to camp we went. We we arrived home his mom beat both our butts. In those days other parents were allowed to keep other kids in line with out being afraid of getting sued. Those were the days.

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I’ve only been sprayed once. Probably 40 years ago. I had a coon set on a creek with a big undercut in the bank. I was tied off on some roots and the lengthened trap chain was up under the bank. I started tugging, and after a brief tussle a hind foot emerged. What kind of foot is this? Not a coon, not a possum....that’s when I found out who belonged to the foot.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I’ve only ever trapped one skunk before and it sprayed during the night but that was enough to make me and my truck smell like skunk for awhile

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I have never gotten sprayed by a skunk, but several years ago I was walking in to one of my archery stands for a morning hunt. Going in in the dark, when I got close to the stand, I heard some leaves rustling. I fished my flashlight out of my coat and turned it on. There stood a skunk about 15 feet away with its tail semi-raised and the business end pointed in my direction. I turned around and high-tailed it out of there. I stood back about 20 yards until I heard it walk off. That is as close as I want to come to getting sprayed by one. You guys can have, and kill, all of them that you want.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Way to go on the catch!

Skunks add a little spice to life. I encounter many skunks on the line each year. Have been sprayed good a few times and misted too many to remember. Bob Ried, a great Skunk trapper showed me how to dispatch a skunk without it spraying. It works pretty well but, not every time. My wife used to get all twisted up when I came home after an incident with a skunk, now she gathers the skunk off concoction and puts it on the bath tub for me and asks what I want for dinner. She is the best!

I have not been able to convince her to put them up yet. Still working on that one. Lol

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
We have very few skunks where I live. I haven’t even seen many hit on the highway. Up at Snow Shoe, they’re far more common. I kill one every summer in my beeyard there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Way to go on the catch!

Skunks add a little spice to life. I encounter many skunks on the line each year. Have been sprayed good a few times and misted too many to remember. Bob Ried, a great Skunk trapper showed me how to dispatch a skunk without it spraying. It works pretty well but, not every time. My wife used to get all twisted up when I came home after an incident with a skunk, now she gathers the skunk off concoction and puts it on the bath tub for me and asks what I want for dinner. She is the best!

I have not been able to convince her to put them up yet. Still working on that one. Lol
By "Skunk Off" do you mean the dog shampoo stuff? Cause that stuff is AWESOME! Couldn't tell you how many times that saved my hide from being strung up by my parents!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, dish soap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts