The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fox did great at auction and they were my early ones. Averaged just over 64 for 9 I sent up. Top one at 78. Still over 57 average after commision. Wish I'd had them all up there. Eastern coyotes even went really well. Can't wait for May sale.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yeah baby !!!! Bring on the May sale!!! That's when the good primed goods sell. I talked to one fella from Ny. that sent up 14 rubbed up junk and averaged $62 with a low of $37. I'll take that all day long.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you had one there yes it did. That was the highest price in the Semi's. Congrats!!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Congrats you guys! I did pretty well at the NAFA sale myself considering I sent small coons and female mink. Fox and yote went for big bucks today! Too bad I couldn't connect this year. Even possums are doing well!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Got 76 dollars for a yote.. Had to pinch myself...
When a coon went for 47 I had to have the wife listen in to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.....
Sure wish I sent everything in to this auction.

Who thinks Groeny is gonna raise his prices accordingly after this event? I've still got some stuff to send in and don't really feel like waiting til may...

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Now that everyone has spread the word on what they got for fur this year the problems will start. Next year you won't be able to keep a piece of fur in a trap or a trap in the ground. The thieves will pick us clean.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
beaver boy said:
Now that everyone has spread the word on what they got for fur this year the problems will start. Next year you won't be able to keep a piece of fur in a trap or a trap in the ground. The thieves will pick us clean.
yup no doubt.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
beaver boy said:
Next year ? It was real bad around Lancaster this year. Know of one trapper that had 7 fox shot and stollen and 4 MB 550's. All by fox "hunters". He knows this because he reset those sets after work right before dark & they were gonna in the next mornings check. Sad sad times when you have to do that kind of stuff. Reminds me of the 80's when I had seen fox in my set from 300 yds and went down into a gutter to take care of a couple coon only to check the fox about 10 minutes later and find nothing but a pool of blood and foot prints at the set. The guy trapping the neighbors property liked my fox more then I did. Being 17, young and dumb I never did anything about it but I would today!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I agree, everybody will be a trapper now. Wait till some guys set some coni's in the wrong spot and kill another dog.
Had some trouble last year, this year will be worse. Will you guys change your start date? I think is will start right at the date instead of waiting till first week of Nov.?

·
Registered
281 Posts
There is alot more pressure now, than 2 0r 3 years ago.And with the internet it makes catching animals easier, because of all the great info.It all comes down to being a sportsman.I don't have any good for someone who steals another man's property or furs.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
No telling prices next week..next sale...or next season...

Dinks and blues do fine at an auction like they just had....country buyers will still beat ya up on them though...and if the market gets softer dinks.and blues take a hit hard...

As always large prime pelts are best....

Why take and skin and put up 100 coon when you could take 50 later that will be worth the same amount..less work...better for populations...

My thoughts anyways....out of around 30 coon I have 1 blue..a sow shot in late December...and my average size is probably 3x..

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Fur is unprime in my area at that time. What a shame to produce all that junk fur (statewide). Our season opens before Alaska's, riddle me that one. No.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Why do they sell low grade anything? Because there is a market for everything. i.e low grade lumber, they don't burn it out back of the mill, it goes for a lesser type product.
Renny I don't want to argue with you, you live quite north of me and your fur no doubt primes before ours.. We had this one already. It's just my opinion and your entitled to yours as well.

Is fur best when taken prime?
Will it grade better prime?
Will it generally pay more prime?
Will better garments be able to be produced with prime?
Will more manufactures flourish with more prime fur?
Does prime fur drive our industry?
Want your wife in junk fur or prime?
Are white leather goods what manufactures, brokers and buyers like best?

My answer; YES It's so simple IMO.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I had 2 foxes taken opening day PA York co come in, one was flat as all get out but cherry red, the other is one of those weird semi sampsons and pale colored and also flat. Hunter justs want them tanned.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't set till Nov. 6 this past season and have more slatey coons than last season starting last week of October.All good primes last season.I think the warm October hurt.They will be there in May hoping for the best. As for fox the 9 I sent up were from the 7th till deer season. The furs primed up as I went. My early flats went for 58 and my top 2 went for 78 and 76. 20 dollars between the grades. Sorry but I am not waiting till after deer season to start my canine line when they get really good here. Money in the bank is still money.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for the theives, competition and people knowing the prices are up. What's gonna happen is gonna happen. There are very few country buyers anymore so your average joe isn't gonna turn a quick buck. Not saying I won't be mad but I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts