The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wind is something!!! I really wanted to get out with Willie somewhere, but just couldn't do it today. The wind was whipping around here and dead trees and limbs concern me in this type of weather.

Sure would have been nice to run Willie today. I won't get another chance until next Saturday. That's too many days without hunting for Willie. He's gonna be a little ball of energy for the holidays.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I was able to get out with a few friends for what has become our annual Christmas break hunt. We hunted a mix of quail, chukar and pheasants at a preserve. The dogs did well but the wind sure made things interesting. We were able to find all of the birds (some were found more than once due to poor shooting, I won't name names). We also got a extra bird or two up during the day and also pushed out a red fox. All the birds flew well and we realy enjoyed going after groups of quail. At the end of the last field I started to unload the gun when Blitz went on point. I reloaded and went in for the flush after everybody was in a good position. A rooster flushed and I let it go so my buddy could have a nice crossing shot. Two shots and two misses later that bird locked its wings and was gone with the wind. I'll be able to get the dogs out again at the end of next week for a two days of hunting. Good luck next week.

·
Registered
713 Posts
4 buddies and myself got out with my Lab and GSP for late season pheasants. The day started slow but we ended with 12 birds flushed. They sure were holding tight with the wind.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you guys got out and had a good time. I took my daughter to a friends house where they were butchering a steer instead.

I never would have guessed that hunting would be good in the conditions we had today.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I was out at 7 AM this morning. it was windy but the boys did well. the 1st flush I needed 2 shots to bring the bird down.
on the 2nd flush I was totally unaware & when I saw the bird it was to late to shoot

I had some things that needed to be done so I headed for home at 9 am.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not sure if this is just a "bird" thread but 5 of us got out this morning after rabbits. I thought we must have been crazy for going and almost cancelled with the guys at 6 AM but it turned out to be a fine day. The group harvested 4, saw 8, and the lone beagle ran well, with 2 of the 4 harvests being run by her.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jake24 said:
Not sure if this is just a "bird" thread but 5 of us got out this morning after rabbits. I thought we must have been crazy for going and almost cancelled with the guys at 6 AM but it turned out to be a fine day. The group harvested 4, saw 8, and the lone beagle ran well, with 2 of the 4 harvests being run by her.
Not just a bird thread.

Congrats on getting out there and having a fine day. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The heavy wind can make things interesting. At times you will get a point and the bird is a good distance from the dog and then it will take you some time to pinpoint where the bird is. And then later when the dog is working he may bust birds because the wind blew all the scent away from him. It won't take long for those birds to get up in the wind and be long gone. I have hunted several times in heavy wind and things usually go better than I expected. The dogs never seem to mind the wind.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I went out with my chocolate lab, for pheasant. was near Blairsville, westmoreland county. My dog got birdy a couple of times but no flushes. Man it was breezy a couple of times. My lab is pushing 11 and I wanted to get her out. She prefers this weather though to warmer weather. May try and get out again. Didnt get out until noon.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Got out from 10:00-2:00 tracked and flushed two, no shot on either. Dang windy, but with snow on the ground just could not resist.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I looked outside at the trees bending over in the wind. Then I looked at the thermometer. Then I looked at the beagle well nestled in the dog house on a big piece of shag rug. Then I put another log in the stove and enjoyed the "Serenity" while the girls were out shopping. I think in this case it was a good call !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got out late morning. Place was mobbed with hunters. Found a lone cockbird on the edge of SGL in Schwenksville. Flushed on to private land and couldn't shoot.

Was really surprised to see a cockbird. We only got a late stocking of hens.

Pefect point and flush...Dog looked at me like I was an idiot.

Any one have a pointer or two on how to explain the hunting laws to your dog?

·
Super Moderator
14,673 Posts
This morning I met a civilian government worker who is recently back from Afghanistan for a few weeks and we headed out for a morning pheasant hunt over my GSP.

We had six pheasants up, got shooting at four of them and both had our limit. All were hens and I never even thought to get any pictures.

The snow made the hunting pretty interesting as the birds were in the think brush piles and sitting so tight it would have been easy to believe the dog was a liar if I hadn’t already learned to trust him and kept at it until the birds finally blushed. A couple of the birds were close enough to touch before they decided to go airborne.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Got out today... Flushed a rooster... Darn sling... Couldn't get gun off shoulder in time.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was out yesterday, saw many hunters and especially the ground swatters...some guy almost shot my dog...boy did I give him an ear full...used every curse word in the book over and over..

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I was out, saw an ancient white pine lose its top. We had exceptional rabbit running and one of the guys missed a grouse. Since I have a broken leg I have to stay on good trais. I saw at least 40 people jogging, biking and just walking around the gamelands we were hunting. Not a single one of them had any orange at all and let me tell you, the bikes get up on you fast and quietly. Kinda dangerous if you ask me...and everyone of them looked at us like we were the ones in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Great LLewellin said:
I was out yesterday, saw many hunters and especially the ground swatters...some guy almost shot my dog...boy did I give him an ear full...used every curse word in the book over and over..
I've had similar experiences in the past during this time of year so I stopped hunting the gamelands when it gets close to the last stocking. It's happend 2 out 3 times I went out in the late season.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Went out with a buddy yesterday (near Blairsville). Had a good day got a cock bird and two hens. Not bad with no dog. It helped that we could find tracks in snow. Amazing how they let you walk past them. We would see the tracks and follow them and end up flushing them where we already walked.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kudos to those who braved the wind. I was gonna go out but decided the wind was just too much to deal with. Got out today (Monday) for a couple of hours. The dog worked well but we didn't put up a single bird. Not over yet but the fat lady is warming up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't get out Saturday, but I was able to go out for 2 hours today. We put up 2 hens and a cock bird in the first 20 minutes. I just wish the puppy wouldn't bust all Denver's points before I could get to them.
It's just nice to be seeing birds in the late season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts