The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if any of you have used Whitetail Institute's Winter Greens? If you did, how where the results?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes, I have used it. It is high priced, but it's convenient to use for folks with smaller plots or those that just want to try brassicas for the first time.

I planted Wildlife Perfect brassicas this year and they are doing well, but any brassica will do pretty much the same as another.

·
Registered
672 Posts
We got a very good deal on about 16 acres worth of Wintergrees this year and planted them in the middle of july. Like dutch said they are very expensive and if it were not for the deal we got I would have went with the usual feedstore brassicus blend. The plots are doing very well thus far, but I cannot comment on the useage by deer yet. The only thing I didn't like about them is that is no turnip in the mix, only kale and rape varieties. I did add about 2lb of purple top turnip/acre to the mix.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Ive used it in the past and had great success. I have a few plots of wintergreens up and going right now, they look pretty good but they are ready for a shot of urea.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have used Winter Greens but now I buy seed from Welter Seed. Same stuff in the mixes but dollars less per pound (even with shipping included).
Once you've planted plots for a few years and get an idea of what's in the deer picture bags you can buy seed and mix your own. For folks doing a half acre it's not worth it.

Due to vacation schedules, rainy weather and unshared household/parenting responsibilities I was a little late getting my 5 acres of fall planting done. My 1.5 acre brassica plot planted almost 3 weeks ago looks great so I hope the other 2 acres of brassicas will look just as good. The other 1.5 acres are in ceral grains giving those plots a year off from brassicas.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I think next year, I'm going to order a brassica mix from Welters, 50 lbs, and keep some for myself and then package the rest for guys on here. Sell it at cost, put it in vaccum sealed bags and try to help folks on here doing smaller plots.

Might even be interesting having us give opinions on what should be in the mix.

Any thoughts on that guys?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Dutch here is what we ordered pre mixed from Welters last week.
60 lbs of Kopu II White Coated Clover
60 lbs of Landino Clover
60 lbs of Purple Top Turnips
60 lbs of Oilseed Radish
60 lbs of Forage Feast Chicory
60 lbs of Dwarf Essex Rape

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
That is the problem with Welters... They don't offer small orders. Unless you're planting 10 plus acres in food plots, it's over kill...

I use this place to buy most of my seed. http://www.whitetailhabitat.com/seedselection.asp You can buy seed in as small as 1 pound bags. The quality has always been good. For the convenience, the price aint bad and they have a good seed selection.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The total bill was $1,450.00 including shipping, and they pay 50% of the total shipping charges. We priced it out at every source we could find and Welters was by far the cheapest.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I believe that Welters was the best price. Thats why I'd like to create a HPA blend from Welters that I could repackage for the guys on here that just want a good, no nonsense, inexpensive blend that works.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I can have a 50 lb bag mixed with 4 or 5 varieties of brassica, at good prices, and send the mix to guys that just want enough for an acre or so. Pack it 6-7 lbs to a small bag.

Probably by around $20-$25 for a bag, plus shipping, for an acre. Hard to beat that.

·
Banned
617 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
The second photo in the second link is the winter greens with turnips mixed in.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
CJBS2003 - I bought a total of 20 pounds of brassicas of 3 different seeds for a total of $65 including shipping. That's $3.25 per pound for those of you keeping score at home. That's a better price than any Deer picture bag at any store. I ordered it on Friday and received it via . UPS on Wednesday.

Just trying to make surewe all have the facts. The larger orders are needed for Welters to pay half the shipping, but are not needed to make it a cost effective way to order.

Dutch - If the seed has to be re-shipped it would be best for the HPA members to order directly. If it can be picked up your approach would be effective.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I ordered from Ernst Conservation Seeds in Meadville this year for the first time. I bought 16 #'s of 4 different brassicas and with shipping and taxes I paid about $46 for all of it. That comes out to about $2.90 per pound. They were very friendly and the seed came quickly. This price was cheaper than Welters and it's a PA company so I went with them. I have no complaints and will order from Ernst in the future. Here is their website.

http://www.ernstseed.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts