The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the holiday weekend, I had the chance to get out for a few early morning hours. My wife is due with our second kiddo in the next few weeks so I needed to stay very close to home. I went to a local heavily fished and well stocked limestone stream with the intention to trying to figure out how to catch some fish nymphing.

When I arrive the flow was good, a little stained and had a water temp of 58*. That was the conditions both sunday and monday.

On Sunday I arrived and was making my first cast by 5:30-5:45. I started the day with a white woolly bugger and picked up a fish on the first cast. I noticed fish rising so I tired a foam beetle/ant tandem rig. I got a few short strikes but no takers. I did a good job getting tangled up in short order so I changed to a size 16 montana prince nymph.

A few casts and minor adjustments later I brought a few fish to hand

Most of these fish came out of this short little stretch of stream

I did not start catching fish until about 7am and quickly ran out of time and had to pack it in at 7:45. All the fish came in the last 30-45 minutes.

I had so much fun in the few quick hours that I convinced my wife to let me go back monday morning. Again I had a short window from 5:30 sunrise until 7:30. I was running late and arrived at 5:30 and took a little bit to get rigged up I started with a different nymph this morning and picked up a fish in short order by failed to land it. I then tied on the same nymph from the day before and picked up these three from one small riffle. They all make some serious runs down stream about 40-50 yards. Instead of trying to haul them back upstream in the current I followed them downstream.

I caught a few more fish that morning before it was time to call it a day. On the walk out I decided to make one more cast through the riffle that the above three came out of and I was rewarded with a brown to mix it up in the sea of rainbows I was catching.

Overall it was a fun bit of fishing. In about 4 hours of fishing time over two days I caught 11 stocked and well pressured fish. This section of stream is only open for 1/4-1/2 mile so covering ground is not an option. It was lots of fun to pick fish up learning a new technique on pressured waters. I acknowledge I need to figure out how to take some better pictures. Trout in the grass is getting a bit repetitive. I also think I will start taking some measurements and notes on the fish.

·
Premium Member
24,249 Posts
Nice fish, that rainbow sure is a fat one

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pahoytman said:
Looks like you are starting to get the hang of fly fishing.
Nice catches, trout look like they are feeding good by their girths.
I'm definitely starting to get the hang of it. Your indicator recommendation made all the difference for me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
troutdoorsman said:
That is some great looking water!
It is very nice. Although it is not very wide it is plenty deep through the sections I have fished. There are several stretches with little or no structure but plenty of under cuts and big rocks to provide cover for the fish. I found out how deep the water was the other day when I stepped into what looked like knee deep water but it was a bit more and was at the top of my hip boots. The only issue I see with the stream is limited access. There are two c&r fly fishing only sections, one you need to have a conservancy button to fish. The all tackle up stream section gets hammered as it is a local park and bordered up and down steam with no fishing sections. I wish there was better access on the stream since it is one of very few that stay cool year round and seems so far to have a very consistent off color flow considering the total lack of rain we have had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.