The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Cranberry Township, Allegheny County. The store will be dedicated to the Field and Stream hunting and fishing product line and cater to outdoorsmen. Too bad they alienated half of them with their stance on modern sporting rifles. Will probably be a pretty nice store.

Dick's to Open First Field & Stream Store in Pennsylvania
SportsOneSource Media Posted: 1/30/2013
Dick’s Sporting Goods has applied for a building permit to convert a former Dick’s store in Cranberry, PA to a store operating under the Field & Stream banner in what appears to be the retailer’s latest specialty retail spin-off, according to a report on triblive.com, the online news outlet for several Philadelphia area newspapers.

Field & Stream Licenses announced in September it had agreed to sell Dick’s Sporting Goods the intellectual property rights to the Field & Stream trademarks in the hunting, fishing, camping and paddle categories. Previously, Field & Stream had licensed these categories to Dick's on an exclusive basis.

Dick’s moved its Dick’s Sporting Goods store in Cranberry to a larger space in that town in October. Cranberry is located nearly two hours north of Dick’s Sporting Goods headquarter in Findlay, PA, just northwest of Pittsburgh.

Last summer, Dick’s opened its first True Runner specialty store near Pittsburgh. True Runner caters to running enthusiasts.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think only the hardcore NRA types are into these "boycotts". They are not half of all outdoorsmen by any stretch. Over time, I suspect even many of them will go back to their old habits.
My family shops at Dicks a bunch and will continue to.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TusseyMtMan said:
I think only the hardcore NRA types are into these "boycotts". They are not half of all outdoorsmen by any stretch. Over time, I suspect even many of them will go back to their old habits.
My family shops at Dicks a bunch and will continue to.
Probably right. Most of the folks I talk are not even aware of Dick's actions after Newtown. If it is a big store dedicated to hunting and fishing, which it sounds like, it will do well. Espcecially where it is going. A area around Pittsburgh that has exploded with development.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have 2 Field and stream coats and they are great , Light and warm .
Not a Dick's fan but Field and stream coats are great .

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I also have a F&S, FO jacket I bought three seasons ago and it's great.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was not impressed with the Dicks store in Cranberry. probably won't go there again. The Dicks store in Butler will get my money or I'll just go to Cabelas.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
dpms said:
In Cranberry Township, Allegheny County. The store will be dedicated to the Field and Stream hunting and fishing product line and cater to outdoorsmen. Too bad they alienated half of them with their stance on modern sporting rifles. Will probably be a pretty nice store.

Dick’s Sporting Goods has applied for a building permit to convert a former Dick’s store in Cranberry, PA to a store operating under the Field & Stream banner in what appears to be the retailer’s latest specialty retail spin-off,
The old store on 19 is in Butler County if this is the same one.

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
mossycamo said:
I was not impressed with the Dicks store in Cranberry. probably won't go there again. The Dicks store in Butler will get my money or I'll just go to Cabelas.
Imo, Dicks in Butler is nothing special either..go in for something simple, but they never have it or never heard of it...their fishing section is garbage...

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I refuse to shop at Dick's. After how they treated the company I work for when we did work for them...they can have their overpriced sporting goods stores. I'll spend my money somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
dpms said:

Dick’s Sporting Goods has applied for a building permit to convert a former Dick’s store in Cranberry, PA to a store operating under the Field & Stream banner in what appears to be the retailer’s latest specialty retail spin-off, according to a report on triblive.com, the online news outlet for several Philadelphia area newspapers.

Field & Stream Licenses announced in September it had agreed to sell Dick’s Sporting Goods the intellectual property rights to the Field & Stream trademarks in the hunting, fishing, camping and paddle categories. Previously, Field & Stream had licensed these categories to Dick's on an exclusive basis.

Dick’s moved its Dick’s Sporting Goods store in Cranberry to a larger space in that town in October. Cranberry is located nearly two hours north of Dick’s Sporting Goods headquarter in Findlay, PA, just northwest of Pittsburgh.

Last summer, Dick’s opened its first True Runner specialty store near Pittsburgh. True Runner caters to running enthusiasts.
The portion I've highlighted in bold is the key to this story. When a company "licenses" a trademark, it's about brand name more than it is about quality . It doesn't mean the goods produced with the "Field and Stream" name will be the same quality as previously. This is a way for the owner of the intellectual property rights (in this case the name "Field and Stream") to extend it's brand further into the mass market.

It's a clear change in direction for the brand, and we don't know yet what else will change. The quality can decrease in order for the merchandise to reach price points that will move the merchandise in volume. The factories that make the goods might change, since the licensee will now have more control over production of the merchandise. The fabric content in the clothing, the features, the fit -- all of this can change. Certainly Dicks and Field and Stream expects this to make more money for them. Whether it will be good for the consumer remains to be seen. As in almost everything, time will tell.

To me, this looks like a way for Dicks to further penetrate their market with a different approach than other companies are using. I look forward to seeing what they do with this direction.

What I've said is not meant to denigrate Dicks or Field and Stream in any way. I have some Field and Stream clothing I bought from Dicks several years ago. It hass held up well. I wear it a lot and I like it a lot. I hope Field and Stream continues to measure up to what it has been.

With the change The spinoff of the True Runner specialty store near Pittsburgh is probably a precursor to this new direction for Field and Stream. Outdoorsmen and women will feel more at home without fighting their way through treadmills and tennis togs to get to our sporting goods.

Incidentally, since Dicks is headquartered in the Pittsburgh area, I'd bet a good number of their employees are members of HPA.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
I just hope it isn't a clothing and shoe store. Hopefully they will have some stuff that a hunter and fisherman can actually use! Unlike Dick's and Dunhams, over priced, yuppie, golf store.

·
Registered
18,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Supposedly only catering to hunters,fishermen, hikers, kayakers etc..

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
I just hope it isn't a clothing and shoe store. Hopefully they will have some stuff that a hunter and fisherman can actually use! Unlike Dick's and Dunhams, over priced, yuppie, golf store.
DING DING DING!

I was in the new Dicks in Cranberry before Christmas and I began to refer to it as yuppy depot...there were so much North Face, Under Armour and yoga pants flying off the shelves of that place it wasn't even funny.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts