The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any feedback on Dicks savage .223 Axis Combo being offered?It's $349 with 3x9 scope.Any info would be helpful. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
the axis is the old savage edge they were not alowed to call it the edge any longer cause some one a long time ago had that name used already so they had to change it
but its the same gun

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I read the review in one of the gun rags last year. you get what you pay for I always say

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
Slavage is correct about the name change to Axis.

From what I have read and seen, not a bad deal? Before the advent of "specials" like the Edge/Axis, Dick's used to have the Savage synthetic M116(?) "package gun" each fall, for around $315, with prices increasing a bit over the years.

Detachable mag, 3x9x40 scope (bore sighted) and a sling. They had gotten up to around $349 or more, by a few years ago.

IIRC, last fall Dick's also had a synthetic M700 "package gun" for roughly $100 more. Pretty much all of these guns come with an inexpensive 3x9x40 scope. Now Gander Mountain, Cabela's and Dick's all have some kind of synthetic package guns on special each fall, both Savage and M700 variants.

Several years ago, one of my Tioga kinfolks won such a M700ADL synthetic rifle, that came with a mounted/bore sighted Simmons. He had intended to replace the cheap scope with a better one, but he's still killing deer with it, just the way it came new.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
You will be pleased with it's accuracy, you can get the gun for under $300 without the scope and put your own rings and scope on it. I have two by the way.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
I would really love to have a 223, for varmits, so is this a good deal or not, sounds o.k.to me
Savages are like fat girls and scooters, to some folks. Their friends might pick on them, if they indulge and their friends find out.

It's a rare Savage bolt gun that doesn't shoot centerfire cartridges pretty well. They just ain't all that purty.

Most Savage bolt rifles in 223 came with a 1 in 9 (or 10?) twist for quite some time, so most will shoot heavier bullets better, than other rifles in that chambering with slower twists.

If I needed an inexpensive 223 for varmints, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I bought one in 223 when they first came out because I got tired of waiting for Marlin to bring out an xs7 in 223. Typical savage accuracy. The trigger is really heavy and I haven't tried messing with it yet. I am a big savage fan but I would not buy another Axis/Edge. It feels really cheap, even for a Savage

·
Registered
351 Posts
i bought an axis in 223 about 2 months ago, i am yet to find a factory or handload that shot worse than 1 inch groups... they are amazing. you might be better off getting one at walmart for $269 and putting your own scope on it. thats what i did and i love it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Dicks AXIS COMBO in .223 opinions trigger pull

Is there any way to soften the trigger pull? I dry fired one at Dicks and it seemed pretty heavy.any info would be great,thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts

I softened the trigger pull on my old(1999ish) savage 112 220 swift but it's not something I would recommend doing yourself. It takes lots of trial and error. Better to buy an aftermarket trigger. But....ugly or not they really shoot well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

YES they do shoot really well thanks on the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts