·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised to hear this... You?

·
Registered
39,637 Posts
I'm thinking the Steelers want somebody with more experience.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yea, it is kinda surprising, didn't think he'd ever want to hang it up.
Wonder if it was a "retirement" like Airens ???
Can't imagine the Steelers pushing LeBeau out the door.

... but ... ya never know?

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
It was a talent problem. The last few years, they didn't run half the stuff Lebeau used to be able to pull off. Coach Lebeau is good, maybe the best d coordinator ever, but look at this:

DE Cam Heyward
NT Steve McClendon
DE Cam Thomas
OLB Jarvis Jones
MLB Ryan Shazier
MLB Lawrence Timmons
OLB Jason Worilds
CB Ike Taylor
SS Troy Polamalu
FS Mike Mitchell
CB Cortez Allen

Now, that's worse than it appears, because two of the bigger names, Troy and Taylor, are past their prime. Troy is a slightly above average strong safety now. Ike could never catch, but he can't even cover anymore. So you have one really talented guy, Timmons.

Not even Lebeau could have made chicken soup from that chicken scratch.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
On the upside, unless he's dead set on being a head coach, Rex Ryan is available.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
On the upside, unless he's dead set on being a head coach, Rex Ryan is available.
I think Keith Butler was pretty much promised the job when he wanted to leave a few years ago.......

As much as I like the 3-4, it might be worth trying to transition back to 4-3.............they do not have the D line to play a 3-4 right now per se

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
They got rid of the wrong coach. And regardless of the hyperbole, they got rid of him......

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
steelerfan58 said:
I think Keith Butler was pretty much promised the job when he wanted to leave a few years ago.......

As much as I like the 3-4, it might be worth trying to transition back to 4-3.............they do not have the D line to play a 3-4 right now per se
Agreed , need to go to a 4-3 .
just do not have the skill at OLB to make the 3-4 work.
Harrison is the best we got and he was retired for most of the season ,
Worilds is average , on a good day.
Jones is a HUGE ??? at best right now.
Drafting in the mid to late 20's , not going to get a "shut down corner" , if there is such a thing in this league anymore.
Need to start by getting pressure on the QB

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I'm not sure they have the skill set in the front 7 to do a 4-3, either. Most of the time anymore, they are in a sub package anyway, like nickel or dime. Let the thought of this sink in for a bit--they are going into next season with a new DC, and his BEST corner is Willie Gay. If Troy retires, Gay is now your best DB. Does anyone know a defensive scheme for that? When the secondary is like that, there is only one thing you can do, and you can do it from a 4-3 or 3-4. You blitz 7. All the time.

"To stop a passing game, you can't stop it unless you put pressure on it. Now some people are good enough to put it on with a three-man rush; well, we're not. In fact, I don't know whether we're good enough to put it on with a four-man rush. If we have to send eight, we'll send eight, but we're not going to let you sit back there and pick us apart all day.

— Buddy Ryan, 1986 NFL Films interview"

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Sounds like he will be on somebody else sideline next year. He said in a statement he IS NOT retiring!

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
13 seasons as the Steelers D coordinator. 11 Top 5s. What he was able to do with that pile of crap of a secondary this year was actually pretty remarkable. I wish him nothing but the very, very best.

·
Registered
25,491 Posts
I'm thinking the Steelers want somebody with more experience.
And a bit more maturity, no doubt?

I will miss the ol' coot. But even he could not work miracles with what they gave him to deal with.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I too am sorry to see him go. Seems like a great guy. I've got to think with the departure of seasoned veterans and the inevitable rebuilding that will occur, that management wanted someone who would be young enough to see that process through. Sounds like it's Keith Butler's time. I've also got to believe that LeBeau had to be frustrated with the talent level he's been dealing with. I'm thinking this was a mutual split. Probably got tired of bringing a knife to a gun fight every week.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
That's it. He was forced to use such garbage talent that he was limited to about 1/2 of his defense. When was the last time you saw a corner blitz? They basically ignored the secondary for years, blew it on 2 of 5 FIRST ROUND PICKS in the front 7, and told Lebeau to make a miracle. At some point, he just ran out of ammo.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Butler is LeBeau's student!
Butler will have pretty much the same players except some draft picks minus Troy? Keisel Ike Harrison?
Can't expect things to be much different.

Don't have the player's to go to 4-3 this year if ever with Butler
Maybe time to go with some fresh blood,younger D- Coordinator, players are gonna be younger maybe relate better.
If you don't go that direction then why did they get rid of LeBeau?

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
13 seasons as the Steelers D coordinator. 11 Top 5s. What he was able to do with that pile of crap of a secondary this year was actually pretty remarkable. I wish him nothing but the very, very best.

·
Registered
20,465 Posts
Cant help but think the Steelers handled this poorly, even tho it was probably time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts