The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My so is getting very interested in shooting archery more. He has a youth bow but it’s not much more than a toy. I’m looking and at seems the two most popular are the cruzer and the infinite edge. Among the kids at 4H the edge is more popular but the kids using them are mostly related so if may be a family opinion. I am no expert archer and my hoyt is nearly 20 years old, so I’m not up on any new archery tech. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these two bows?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
My so is getting very interested in shooting archery more. He has a youth bow but it’s not much more than a toy. I’m looking and at seems the two most popular are the cruzer and the infinite edge. Among the kids at 4H the edge is more popular but the kids using them are mostly related so if may be a family opinion. I am no expert archer and my hoyt is nearly 20 years old, so I’m not up on any new archery tech. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these two bows?

My son has an infinite Edge. It is a nice bow and has worked well. He has had it for a few years. Not sure now if there may be something better out there.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
My son had an infinite edge.It was fine but I upgraded him to a Bowtech fuel.Just as much adjustability but 10X the bow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When looking for a bow for our son we looked at the Mission Craze, Hoyt Ignite, and the Infinite Edge. Ended up with the Hoyt per the recommendation from the bow shop. Now Hoyt replaced it with a new model called the "Klash". We felt better putting more money in a bow that will last him a very long time. It is a quality bow with all of the adjustability he needs as he grows.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll have to look at a few of these other bows mentioned. I guess I should mention my son is 8 and not a large 8. The actual weight of the bow is defiantly something to be considered. A guy from work told me his brother had a couple youth bows that his kids used for one summer a couple years ago and it gave up so he may be willing to sell. I see tons of the edge for sale online used and that wouldn’t bother me if I can check it out first and I can save some cash. I don’t want to cheap out but don’t really want to break the bank either, for a first bow.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
My son's first bow was a diamond nuclear ice.It was very small and light.I bought him an infinite edge when he was probably 8.It was a decent bow but not even in the same league as the Bowtech fuel.The fuel is a light enough for an 8 year old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Infinite Edge is a great bow for an 8-year old. I've got 15 year-olds shooting 260+ scores with that bow (though I wish they'd upgrade to something with a harder back wall). But for your archer, it's a fine choice.

Not overly impressed with the Cruzer.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Infinite Edge is a great bow for an 8-year old. I've got 15 year-olds shooting 260+ scores with that bow (though I wish they'd upgrade to something with a harder back wall). But for your archer, it's a fine choice.

This will be where my lack of experience shows, what is meant when you say a harder back wall?
I believe I read there was an upgrade in the back wall of the infinite edge pro but I have no idea what that means.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts

That's where the fuel shines.It's a binary cam so it has a very solid back wall.

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
This will be where my lack of experience shows, what is meant when you say a harder back wall?
I believe I read there was an upgrade in the back wall of the infinite edge pro but I have no idea what that means.
It just means that there's no creep or play in the back wall.The back wall sucked on the infinite edge.That was my main reason for getting my son a different bow.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It just means that there's no creep or play in the back wall.The back wall sucked on the infinite edge.That was my main reason for getting my son a different bow.
back wall is full draw?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's why we went with the Hoyt when my son was 8... we wanted a bow with adjustability that was a quality piece of hunting and shooting equipment. It hasn't disappointed yet. It is holding up well over time. We wanted to spend our money once. As I recall, the Hoyt Ignite we bought was shorter axle to axle than some of the others. This helped him to handle and control the bow when he was first shooting. All of the bows mentioned are ok. There is no bad or wrong choice.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
. Still have the edge? If it sucked that bad I could take it off your hands, free of charge!😜

We just started looking so I have no idea where we will end up or his real interest level. He sees the kids shooting at 4h when we go for air rifle and starts asking. As soon as the weather breaks a little I get him back our with his little bear scout to see if he stays into it.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
I don,t know what the price is currently on the bows mentioned.But I bought my son the Edge when they first came out and that bow is a killing machine.He has dropped tons of Deer with it and is almost 21 and I see no reason he would have to upgrade.It fits the bill and is highly adjustable.I would imagine the Pro model would be a good upgrade.But for a good ole huntin bow the original gets the job done.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Kinda late to this thread, but....

The new diamond infinite edge “pro” has an improved back wall. It is certainly not rock solid like my bow, but with the amount of adjustment it’s a pretty good compromise.

My 9yo has been shooting a Mission Menace for a few years. My 7yo has the newer Infinite edge.

As much as it pains this Mathews shooter to say, I think the Diamond is quite a bit nicer.

I would not hesitate to buy another for a youngster. I probably would not get one for a teenager/adult as I feel you loose somethings with all the flexibility the Diamond offers.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I opted for the PSE Mini burner XT 2017 version. Got it as a leftover from Lancaster Archery for my 7yr old son and he LOVES it and the price was less than the Bear by quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts