The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a .50 cal tc hawkins that could tell me the diameter of their ram rod.

Also how can I figure out what twist my barrel has?

Thanks Matt

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Most 45 and larger are a 3/8" rod.The 32 and 36 take a 5/16".

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
One of my original wood rod is reading .360.....which was probably 3/8 when new. T/C Hawken .50

·
Banned
900 Posts
Somebody just posted how to tell twist here a day or so ago. It had to do with using a jag and patch and measuring how many revolutions the patch made while being inserted down the pipe. I guess if ya know math you could figger it out pretty easy. Lenght of barrel and how many revolutions per inch would give you twist. Example: 24" barrel, 1/2 rotation in 24" would be 1 in 48 twist. I think thats right....

I take it there are no markings..

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Jester said:
Example: 24" barrel, 1/2 rotation in 24" would be 1 in 48 twist. I think thats right....

I take it there are no markings..
Yeah.....that's right. And for the most part, there are no markings on T\C barrels at least.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Found that post. Here's the cut and paste version:
"If you don't know you can run a tight patch down the barrel and just measure how many inches it takes for the rod to make one complete revolution. (or make one-half a revolution....then multiply by 2."

·
Banned
900 Posts
Disregard this next comment. You answered 2 questions..duh!! I'll leave it on here to laugh at though!

How does the diameter of the ramrod determine twist? My Lyman GP and Deerstalker are 2 different twists with same diameter rod.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the help. One more question what do you use to clean with between shots?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I buy a box of those alcohol pads that are pre packaged (the one's people use for injections) and wrap 'em around a jag. I just run one down and it will get it clean enough to load the next one.

Alcohol dries very quickly, so your powder won't get wet. I also use those to wipe off my frizzen and flint. Powder residue will attract moisture from the air very quickly. Removing the powder residue will give you a much better chance of your next shot not going "click".

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
When I am at the range I have a water bottle, I use it to drink and to wet a square piece of cloth that I run through the barrel I clean mine out every 3 shots. I have never had a problem getting the powder wet on the next shot. The alcohol wipes are very good for your lock

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
I use 90% rubbing alcohol every 3 shots and then a dry patch and also use ot to clean the pan and frizzen.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I run a patch with TC 13 down , then a dry and then a lubed patch to finish between every shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts