The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used dial soap to repel deer. They are nipping my apple trees pretty hard.
Thanks...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've heard of the soap a lot but I went with fence 2 weeks ago. Not for the deer but the rabbits in my yard destroy my young trees and bushes every year. They eat the bark off the small trees.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I heard lead is a good deterrent

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Liquid Fence sold at Tractor Supply works. Last winter and this past spring I had a lot of problems with deer eating my ornamentals and my young oaks. I started using the Liquid Fence and that stopped it all. Have not had any problems this winter. Yes lead works good too.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Fencing will solve the problem. I wouldn't bother with any other solution.

Lead poisoning works, if a legal option. LOL

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Believe it or not, but this worked a few years back (when we had more deer in the boro) in keeping the deer away from my shrubs. I put 4' metal stakes in the ground about 10' out from my shrubs. I ran a rope from stake to stake, and then used a sprayer to spray the rope with a mixture of vegatable oil and cayanne pepper. I then hung irish spring soap from the stakes and from the rope every 8'.I would respray the rope every 2 weeks or so. Not only did it work, it looked pretty festive with the red rope and green soap!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
i found that coyote urine works best for me, once you apply it if theres any coyotes around they come and start marking the trees thus keeping deer, rabbits, away!!! you can take care of the trees while there young. as they grow just stop using urine and they go away.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The local orchard hangs the small hotel size bars of soap in their trees and claims it keeps the deer out. Strong scent the better so Irish Spring or Coast are a good choice.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Go to Wal mart and buy a pack of those smelly Christmas trees that you hang in your car to make it smell good.....You want to get the black ones........They will chase deer to the next county.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The soap seems to work. A commercial garden grower near me used to go to the local Zoo, where they sold "mixed large cat dung", made from tiger, lion and leopard poop and [censored]. He said it worked good.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ONE FARM I HUNT HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM WITH DEER IN THEIR CORN BINS. THEY TRIED EVERY TYPE OF SOAP. NOTHING WORKED. THEY CONTACTED THE PGC AND WERE TOLD ONCE THE DEER HAD A TASTE FOR THE CORN NOTHING BUT A FENCE WOULD DETER THEM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts