The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get the Safeguard dog dewormer and follow the instructions will it take care of everything I need to worry about?

Is there something better?
I heard about using cattle/swine dewormer because it's cheaper but to be honest I'd be just as happy spending a few extra bucks and dumping pre-measured packets into food rather than messing with measuring out liquid swine dewormer.

My dogs are flea and ticked monthly and I give them a monthly heart work tablet also.

Last year at this same time my 6 year old beagle got 'sick' on me. Took her to the vet, it was just worms.
Now she is showing the same symptoms. -_-'
The last vet appointment I took two dogs in at the same time for a year check and shots and the vet charged me $60 a dog just to see the dogs/office visit. I don't mind paying for their care, the yearly peace of mind heartworm/limes check, the shots, emergencies, and that stuff but I know if I take them in for dewormer it's going to cost me $180 just for the vet to see them!
Plus I have to lug all three in and wait 3 hours in the waiting room even though I made an appointment

I am a horse person and I deworm my horse routinely...
No one ever told me my dogs would also benefit from this?

How often should I be deworming?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I wouldn't give worm medicine to my dog unless I found worms in the stool or had a stool sample tested for worms. Different medicine for different worms. Sometimes bypassing the vet can cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually today I took my lab pup in for a Lymes booster.

The vet tech gives it too her, its an in and out deal, it literally took 3 minutes.
Yet I was there 45 minutes.... sitting in the waiting room.... Waiting.

Its hard because everyone around here is catering to FooFoo dogs now.

...and this time was no disappointment as the vet tech once again game me the Spay and Neuter speech. I hear it EVERY time my dogs go there and EVERY time I politely tell them we do not want to spay them we want to wait. (The 6 year old beagle is spayed though, we love her but shes not the best rabbit dog around lol)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
You'll be fine using the safeguard to worm your dogs with. It will not kill all tape worms though, so if you use it and still see tapes you'll need to get droncit or fish tape pills.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
many heartworm meds also work on other worms.
the one I use is effective against several kinds.

whatever active ingredient is in any dewormer,,its toxic enough to kill worms.
even monthly preventives...

so I don't deworm unless I have a positive test.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I'm using the Safeguard now for 3 days. It kills just about all the worms likely to infect your dog's system. It does only kill one species of tapeworm but it's the most common one I think. During the 3-day treatment it's recommended to also give the dog a daily dose of good probiotics like Fortiflora to reestablish the good bacteria needed in the dog's digestive system. This is the treatment I'm following. I also plan to stick to a semi-annual worming regimen, basically spring and fall. I know a # of owners that do this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I did do 3 days of Safeguard and by day 2 my dog was her normal self. Following up with Probios (just like I do with my horses).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts