The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: 2014

I have read some places that they gotta be wrked hard 5 days a week or they will tear the house the down ... True?

· Registered
1,914 Posts

I guess it depends on the dog, but I've not seen or heard of it. DDs are bred for performance in hunting as well as their disposition. Like any working dog, they need to do what they're bred to do, but they should also be adaptable to any situation. I would talk to one of the breeders in PA, I'm just a novice DD owner, but I will say I won't own any other dog again.

· Registered
610 Posts

A friend that passed away used to train them. The ones he trained were hunting machines, trained to be good on duck search, scent and blood tracking. DD's breeding is well controled by the breed club. The females I have helped with were socialized well and were sweethearts.

Cons? Pm sent

· Registered
610 Posts

jayson2984 said:
I have read some places that they gotta be wrked hard 5 days a week or they will tear the house the down ... True?
Should have seen my short hair. Most hunting dogs need excercise or they get frustrated. Buy a "good" dog crate. My GSP had no prblem getting out of the remington dog crate when I went into the field with another dog. Rods on doors of Remington are too light for my liking. I watch a DD push the crate up with his back so the top rod was out of the plastic then push the door open.

· Registered
438 Posts

First, no breeds come without pro's and con's. You simply need to determine what your primary use for the dog will be, choose a breed that does those things well, and then find the right breeder because with any breed, there are good ones and bad ones.

In regards to the DD's, I will give you my opinion on what I see based on seeing about a dozen a year for training. They typically have good desire to hunt and can be started on birds fairly easy. On average they have fairly good noses and natural ability. They can be harder to break to point than your more tradional pointing breeds but that can be said for all of the continental breeds. They are typically better on trailing a cripple but this is also common with any of the german dogs. They are more ground scenters and trash chasers than other more traditional bird dogs.

In regards to destruction, I have more damage done by GSP's, DD, Wirehairs, and Griffons in my kennels each year than all the other breeds combined. If someone doubts me, I will show them the yearly repair bills as well as the reinforced grating on my doors and panels to keep them inside the chainlink as opposed to having them chewing their way out and running all over the five hundred of acres at the training farm.

In general, most have had a decent tempermant and particularly the females. I have seen several males that have not only been protective but also down right mean. Most of the issues have been with other dogs, but several were mean towards both man and beast.

The breed is held to a breed standard when breeding, but as with all breeds, there are never 100% of the dogs that are as perfect as everyone makes them out to be. All dog owners will give you the reasons that their dog is the best and there are great dogs in every breed. There are also bad dogs in every single breed. You simply need to be able to pick through the junk and as a guy who see's hundreds of dogs each year, there is way more junk out there than there is gems.

Good luck with your search.

· Registered
301 Posts

You can go through my posts, I have posted a lot about hunting and training my draht. She is a phenomenal hunter and great house dog. I respect what pointer said above with regards to the the breed in general but as in any breed certain natural abilities can vary between different lines. I can tell you this, my dog may not point as well as a pointer or track rabbits as well as a beagle but there is probably no pointer or beagle that will point a pheasant in the field, steady to flush and shot, track the cripple through the brush retrieve to hand then run a two hundred yard rabbit track five minutes later. Then retrieve ducks on the water in the afternoon. They are amazingly versatile dogs and I don't know if I will own another breed.

The breeding is highly regulated by the breed club. Locally(within an hour or so) you can find some great breeders. My pup is from William Miller near Lewisburg pa. I visited three kennels and talked to six total. What made me decide on his was partially timing of the litter and partially the temperment of his dogs. When I visited everyone of his was calm and patient in the kennels either standing calmly tail wagging or on two legs standing up against kennel door. Little to no barking and none bouncing off the walls. The one other kennel I visited was completely opposite dogs bouncing off the walls, probably the ones who damaged pointer's kennel.

If you are really interested in the breed shoot me a pm and we can talk more about it. I would recommend calling a few breeders and going to some of the training days. The breed association is relatively close knit and the breedes will encourage you to attend training days and run the breed tests. My pups breeder has a litter due in April. The sire I know we'll and have seen him train and run pretty often. Sweet playful dog, big for the breed. Tremendous nose and stylish point. He was the highest scoring dog at his last test. The dame I haven't seen run much but she has great scores. Good luck in your search.

· Registered
301 Posts

Nes said:
A friend that passed away used to train them. The ones he trained were hunting machines, trained to be good on duck search, scent and blood tracking. DD's breeding is well controled by the breed club. The females I have helped with were socialized well and were sweethearts.

Cons? Pm sent
If you don't mind me asking, who was the trainer? My breeder use to work with a trainer all the time but he passed away about three years ago.

· Registered
438 Posts

cyril said:
You can go through my posts, I have posted a lot about hunting and training my draht. She is a phenomenal hunter and great house dog. I respect what pointer said above with regards to the the breed in general but as in any breed certain natural abilities can vary between different lines. I can tell you this, my dog may not point as well as a pointer or track rabbits as well as a beagle but there is probably no pointer or beagle that will point a pheasant in the field, steady to flush and shot, track the cripple through the brush retrieve to hand then run a two hundred yard rabbit track five minutes later. Then retrieve ducks on the water in the afternoon. They are amazingly versatile dogs and I don't know if I will own another breed.

The breeding is highly regulated by the breed club. Locally(within an hour or so) you can find some great breeders. My pup is from William Miller near Lewisburg pa. I visited three kennels and talked to six total. What made me decide on his was partially timing of the litter and partially the temperment of his dogs. When I visited everyone of his was calm and patient in the kennels either standing calmly tail wagging or on two legs standing up against kennel door. Little to no barking and none bouncing off the walls. The one other kennel I visited was completely opposite dogs bouncing off the walls, probably the ones who damaged pointer's kennel.

If you are really interested in the breed shoot me a pm and we can talk more about it. I would recommend calling a few breeders and going to some of the training days. The breed association is relatively close knit and the breedes will encourage you to attend training days and run the breed tests. My pups breeder has a litter due in April. The sire I know we'll and have seen him train and run pretty often. Sweet playful dog, big for the breed. Tremendous nose and stylish point. He was the highest scoring dog at his last test. The dame I haven't seen run much but she has great scores. Good luck in your search.
I also respect what Cyril has said and his experience with the two kennels is exactly why I said that their are differences within all breeds and finding a breeder that produces a dog that you like is the most important thing. Despite the breeding standards set for the DD, there are still big differences within the breed as with any breed. That is also why you must determine what you want in a dog. If pointing, tracking rabbits, and retrieving ducks are what you want, you probably can't go wrong with a lot of the dogs with versatility. If your only interest were with birds or bunnies, then other breeds may be a better alternative.

· Registered
76 Posts

Jason2984,
I see youre in in Harrisburg, call Fred Turjan in Middletown, he breeds Drahthaars.
Go see them for yourself. I bought my first one a few years ago, and will be getting another in a year or two.
The one I have is one of the best behaved house dogs I ever had and has never chewed or destroyed anything in my house. He is very friendly to invited guests, though I think if someone broke in or tried to hurt the kids they would be in trouble. We picked the DD because we mostly waterfowl hunt with some pheasant hunting along the way. We wanted a dog that could do both. This year we did more small game hunting and he was like a tireless machine all day long. He doesnt shed any worse than our lab used to, and yes, it can take a few minutes to clean the briars out of his beard, not a big deal. I do like the VDD breeding regulations, because you cant breed a dog with known problems. Pointer is correct that there are differences within the breed, but I don't think you will get a bad one. If you have an interest in one, go see/spend time/hunt with a few before you make any decision. It's a friend hopefully you will have for ten plus years, so make sure one is right for you/your family.

· Registered
1,914 Posts

I'll add a +2 to Cyril and Jeramiah. Best house and family dog I've ever owned. And to add to what Cyril said, the calmness and disposition of Miller's dogs were what sold me.

As far as hardness towards dogs or humans, as I understand it, that's as big of a fault in a DD as poor hunting ability and it's strictly not tolerated.

· Registered
610 Posts

cyril said:
If you don't mind me asking, who was the trainer? My breeder use to work with a trainer all the time but he passed away about three years ago.
Cyril-Trainer was Dave Hollingshead and William Miller is the one I recommend. Great guy with a passion for the breed. I used to help those guys a lot at Warrior Mark. I really enjoyed the way they performed.

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

I woul just like to take the time to thank everyone who contributed to this thread an ESP the pms that have gotten me point to a breeder. All the pms I received sent me to the same place, which is a really good feeling.

Thanks Jay

· Registered
610 Posts

jayson2984 said:
I woul just like to take the time to thank everyone who contributed to this thread an ESP the pms that have gotten me point to a breeder. All the pms I received sent me to the same place, which is a really good feeling.

Thanks Jay
Now when do we see the pup???

· Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Nes said:
jayson2984 said:

Thanks Jay
Now when do we see the pup???
Well I am a bit obsessive compulsive so I started this process really early. I have been corresponding with the breeder via email, and will be making plans to go see the dogs that will be having pups next spring in a couple weeks. Sooooo wait is gonna be a long one!

· Registered
38 Posts

Hi All:

I picked up a DD from an excellent breeder near Denver, PA. He's about 10 months now. I can't speak for all DD's but my dog Jager is a strong hunter and excellent house dog. He doesn't need run constantly but he sure does enjoy it. Excellent prey drive and biddability. He learns very quickly, good nose, great endurance. I can personally attest to the great versatility of the breed that was one of the main reasons for my purchase. He's fetched ducks through flooded timber in the morning and pointed pheasants in the afternoon. Great house dog and great companion, content to be alone and doesn't require constant stimulation. My dog doesn't mind laying out in the sun on a cool day. I've gotten lots of positive comments from hunting buddies and other people just hiking trails. The only thing that really slows the breed down is summer heat. If he's running in the summer, he needs quarts and quarts of water or needs to be swimming.

· Registered
1,914 Posts

That's the beauty of DDs IMO. All of the breeders I know are more than very involved in their product and their success. It shows in their dogs.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.