The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to laugh at my brit Tucker when he tries to bring a larger rooster to hand. He's a year old and just doesn't quite have the lifting power to get the job done. But man, does he try ! Hopefully we'll get some shoulders on him and he'll be up to the task.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
If that isn't prey drive in those eyes I don't know what is.... Or maybe it's "oh crap, now what!" Great looking pup. Best of luck.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tuck's a good dog, just a bit too much of a puppy right now ! Bird crazy to say the least. The first half hour or so in the field, you can forget it. He just runs rampant and basically forgets we're hunting. Then when he settles down he really understands the program well.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He typically holds well and is steady to wing, which is all I'm hoping for. Yesterday, we had my buddy's lab with us, and it messes with him a bit when the lab goes charging by. He's also been adjusting his point on moving birds, which I've determined I will allow him to do in light of how much pheasant hunting I plan to do. Definitely a work in progress though...

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Just be careful that he is not picking the bird up and simply mouthing it. You can tell by looking at the bird for evidence of teeth marks. If he is leaving marks or tears in the birds he is developing a hard mouth. I would eliminate this behavior. It might surprise you but I suspect he can pick them up if he really wants too. I have had five month old pups that were not more than about 20 lbs pick up full size pheasants and carry them. The didn't do it easy by still did it. I also have a client who owns one of my male pointers (45 lbs)who is a goose retrieving machine.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pointer, Thanks for the tip. Smaller pheasants and chukars, he brings right to me with no hesitation. No excessive chewing, releases them on command with no sign of being overly possessive. I think he really is having a problem lifting the bigger birds.
That being said, he may be playing it up a little. When it's a larger bird, he keeps "choking up" on the bird to get through the feathers and get hold of the body of the bird. He a smart little bugger and is probably using that as an excuse to spend a little more time with his nose on the bird. But he always makes a real effort to bring it to me.
With the bird in the photo, he dragged it five feet, then layed down with it like he was giving up. Did this about three times and I let him off the hook and took the bird from him. Never any puncture holes in any of the birds though.....

·
Registered
901 Posts
Worker hard with my Brit, Duchess, years ago. Retrieve , fetch. Dead bird, etc. well when I shot her first pheasant it wasn't dead and she went to retrieve . She tried and tried to pick it up with no success so she did the next bet thing...she stood on it! Worked some more with bigger retrieving dummies and she was good to go! Gotta love 'em.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Tuck's quite the handsome fellow. But, as you know, I'm a bit biased toward those Brits.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He wasn't too handsome about an hour ago when he ate two of my kid's toys ! LOL

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yesterday, he got into a box of financial documents we were stupid enough to leave where he could get at them. Needless to say, the documents were NOT ready for the shredder just yet, but he turned a bunch of them to confetti.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts