The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Editor:

In late December, I was walking my dog in Oil Creek State Park on a well-marked hiking trail and came upon a trap line. The traps were set right on the trail where people, dogs and small children walk.

I set two off the traps and was fined for trying to protect my dog. Apparently trappers can legally place traps anywhere they want.

They have a 7,200-acre area to trap in but find they have to place their traps on well-used trails.

So beware of when walking your dog on the hiking and bike trail there are unseen dangers on them.

— Mike Mietus

Rouseville

·
Registered
748 Posts
Glad that he was fined!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
dont know who the trapper was that turned him in (prob a warden trapper...lol.) but it is about time someone got nailed for tampering with our goods....

·
Registered
749 Posts
charman03 said:
Personally I would not set traps on a heavily used hiking trail. Legal or not I don't need the headache.
where in the above post says anything about heavily used trail....it said well marked...we have trails like that round here and come november the only people using them are the deer hunters...

i know what your saying but dont read into whats not said...for all we know it was a trail in the middle of nowhere that sees very little use but very well marked...

·
Registered
12,208 Posts
If it is a public hike and bike trail, it is pretty stupid to put traps where you know the public and their pets and children will be passing. Could land the trapper in court for injury damages.

I recall a case where a trapper put some sets along a fence row right at the edge of a housing development, barely 150 yds from the houses. He was sued for vet bills for a cat. Don't know what the result was.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We had a guy set traps on a heavily hunted game lands for pheasants and rabbits he put them dead in the middle of the trail. A dog got caught and the hunter confronted the trapper the next morning. It was not pretty although the guy with the dog that got caught went and set every trap off..He had a hefty fine from the game warden. The trapper got a lecture from the warden and never came back...its all about common sense.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So it's alright to hunt gamelands for small game but not trap it for the critters that eat said game. Setting traps on a trail is common as predators all seem to use the path of least resistance. Now a heavy used trail by people biking, hiking, walking dogs I would try to find where the predators go off trail but a trail on state game lands I dont know I wasnt there but maybe it seemed like the trail wasn't used by people. Common sense varies amoung some people I have seen thru the years here lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Its a popular place for dog training. Im a trapper and I run my beagles and setter there. I never had a problem but it only takes one.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Bob Jamison said:
Editor:
I set two off the traps and was fined for trying to protect my dog. Apparently trappers can legally place traps anywhere they want.
Yes they can.There are two parts to protection prevention and action to protect. He did nothing wrong, as said animals will take path of least resistance. He is doing a favor. If anyone read where that guy got attacked by coyotes and his dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts