The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is a good place to buy some dermestid beetles for skull cleaning? Do you keep them inside (like a garage or shed) or outside? What do you feed them if you dont have a skull to give them from time to time? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
how many you want
i may be able to spare a few hundred

·
Registered
15 Posts
keep the inside a building of some sort. Feed them meat scraps or even dog food. Keep them warm at about 70-80degrees. keep them at about 50 percent humidity. they can take flight at about 80bdegrees if not kept semi moist. They need a pupating area----cardboard,cotton batting, styrofoam. Keep them well ventilated and keep covered with fine mesh as well u dont want any other bugs in there. I have found that they can crawl up plastic tubs so go with a glass aquarium that can fit a nice wt deer or a deep chest freezer. i can help you with a few as well. they are alot of work for trying to do ur own euros.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This does sounf like a really in depth process.....All i would use them for are for a few skulls each season.....it might not be worth the hassle? What are your thoughts? How often do you guys use these beetles?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i feed mine yr round and you will need a ton of food to keep em goin
its not worth it even if your gonna do acuple deer skulls

·
Registered
15 Posts
same here. i feed them skulls weekly and water daily. If you want to do a few skulls a year. You can macerate or rot them in a bucket of water. or simmer with sal soda it turns all meat into meat jello.You also need about 5thousand to clean a skull in a few days, that runs about 150 some places.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thanks for the advice guys.....I guess I will have to pass on the beetles. Johnny Z.....do you do commercial skull cleaning or anything along those lines?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i sure do
im not sure if im permitted to give $ here but i can pm you more info if your interested just let me know what you have and how many and i can get you a quote
thanks
johnny z

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
ARGGGG! One of my chest freezers went up on me. I guess it's a good beetle colony freezer now. Probably cost close to repair as a new freezer would cost.

I'll probably come back to post "free freezer for beetle colony" after looking it over to try to see why it went up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you could....send me a rough estimate of what you would charge per deer skull, bear skull and predator skulls. Thanks in advance....you can PM me with the prices.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts