The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-weight: bold">Post-mortem on gun control: Supporters less threatening at polls than opponents</span>

Supporters of tougher gun laws did not hound Congress enough to get even widely popular reforms passed through the Senate this week, according to a number of observers on and off Capitol Hill.

Although polls show that an overwhelming majority of voters back tougher gun laws — in the case of universal background checks, the figure tops 90 percent — that support did not translate into a legislative victory this week in the Senate, where lawmakers blocked the central elements of President Obama's strategy for fighting gun violence.

Some advocates for those reforms say the discrepancy between the polls and congressional action can be largely attributed to a simple lack of pressure from voters on their representatives. They're warning that no changes will pass until gun control supporters become as vehement, as united — and as threatening at the polls — as the gun rights activists who oppose tougher laws.....

Thompson, ....... said he recently asked a GOP colleague from California to endorse his bill as an original co-sponsor. Despite popular support for the idea in his district, the Republican declined, Thompson said, citing a lack of direct pressure on his office.

"He said, 'I'll vote for it, but I don't want to co-author it,'" Thompson said at a press briefing in the Capitol. "And I said, 'Do you know how many people in your district support this?' He said, 'Yeah, I saw the poll that said 93 percent of my district supports this.' And I said, 'And you don't want to co-author it?' He said, 'Not one of them has called me.' "..........

A senior White House official delivered a similar message Thursday, saying any revival of Obama's gun control push now hinges on voters pressuring Congress directly.

"It'll sort of depend on how this plays in the public,” the official said. “If there's genuine outrage that the Senate did this, it's very possible that this comes back again.”...........

In a phone interview with The Hill last month, Ross Baker, a political scientist at Rutgers University, predicted the background-check bill would fail. The reason, Baker said, was that while gun owners represent a vast minority of Americans, they tend to turn out in large numbers at the polls to vote as a bloc and hinge their support largely on Second Amendment issues. Many gun control supporters, on the other hand, don't treat those issues as their primary impetus in choosing a candidate, which erodes their power despite their much larger numbers.

"The passionate minority wins every time," Baker said. "Lawmakers know who will vote on this issue, and come 2014, the NRA members will remember this vote. The others won't." .........

.....New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, "The only silver lining is that we now know who refuses to stand with the 90 percent of Americans," Bloomberg said in a statement, "and in 2014, our ever-expanding coalition of supporters will work to make sure that voters don’t forget.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/29491...-than-opponents

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<span style="font-weight: bold">Sen. Manchin: Blame me for gun control failure, not Obama</span>

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Thursday said he should be blamed for the Senate’s stinging defeat of expanded background checks for gun purchases, not President Obama.

“If people want to blame, I guess you blame me,” Manchin told reporters at a Wall Street Journal breakfast. “I just never knew how hard it was to get the facts out. I think there is a lot more I can do to get the facts out.”

Manchin’s background checks bill, co-sponsored by GOP Sen. Pat Toomey (Pa.), earned 54 votes on Wednesday, falling short of the 60 needed for passage. Senate <span style="font-weight: bold">Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) switched his vote from yes to no in a procedural move that allows him to bring the bill up for another vote in the future. </span>

A series of other gun control amendments also fell, likely ending for now debate on the issue in Congress. ..............

Manchin on Thursday promised to press on for stricter gun control.

“I know everybody is pretty much worn out,” he said. “Now we need to figure out how we are going to get the 68, 70 votes I think we should have, and that’s what we are going to work on.”

Manchin could not predict when Democrats would mount another effort to pass gun control, but he said the White House needs to be careful not to push fence-sitters too hard in the coming days.

“It’s still very raw,” he said of the loss. “People hunker down, they are afraid that if they change their position they will be politically known as a flip-flopper.”

“We have got to look at maybe a different strategy,” he said. “You never want to embarrass them.” He said that the White House should use his bill as the basis for moving forward rather than seeking universal background checks that rural gun owners won’t accept.

“His universal base bill is gone. That bill’s gone,” Manchin said. He said that if Manchin-Toomey had appeared shortly after the Newtown shooting, it would have passed easily...............

Manchin said that it is “reasonable” to conclude that some conservative Democrats felt themselves stretched too thin and lacked “energy” to sell rapid changes in their positions on gay marriage, immigration and guns at the same time.................

Manchin said that if he loses reelection in 2018 due to NRA opposition, he is prepared for it. “I have to live with whatever happens, and people will make their decisions based on that,” he said. He said that if he loses, he will get to spend more time with his family...........

He said that if the NRA can be convinced not to score his bill, it would get 70 votes immediately. Emotionally, Manchin said that Thursday he “could hardly speak” when asked about the reaction of the Newtown families to the vote.

“If we had one ounce of their courage ... we could move the whole world. We really could,” he said.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/294731-manchin-blame-me-for-failure-on-gun-control#ixzz2QrgX6mie

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<span style="font-weight: bold">Reid tables gun control bill after defeat on background checks</span>

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) announced that the Senate would put aside the gun control bill to start work on other legislative matters.

“It’s only a matter of time before we bring this anti-gun-violence measure back to the floor for a vote,” Reid said Thursday. “The stand of the Republicans is not sustainable.”

Reid said Democrats knew passing gun control measures would be an uphill battle.

"We knew all along that efforts to pass stronger background checks and keep guns out of the hands of criminals wouldn’t be easy," Reid said. "But it's worth the effort."............

Reid said that tabling the bill would allow the Senate to skip procedural hurdles when it returns to the measure after more negotiations off the floor.

"Make no mistake, this debate is not over. In fact, this fight is just beginning," Reid said. "I've spoken with the president. He and I agree that the best way to keep working towards passing a background check bill is to hit a pause and freeze the background check bill where it is."..........

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/se...t#ixzz2Qri8c8ty

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pelosi: Tougher gun controls 'inevitable'

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Thursday said passage of tougher gun controls is "inevitable," projecting optimism less than 24 hours after the Senate voted down legislation central to President Obama's strategy to reduce gun violence.

"It's a matter of time," Pelosi said Thursday during a press briefing in the Capitol. "It might be inconceivable to the NRA that this might happen; it's inevitable to us."

Pelosi did not put a timeline on her prediction but suggested public outrage over the failed Senate effort will eventually force the opponents of tougher gun laws to reconsider.

"Something must be done, because that's what the American people expect and what they deserve," she said. "We're just not taking no for an answer."

Pelosi has a tough road ahead............

Pelosi accused the opponents ........of putting their own political careers above public safety. .....

In the lower chamber, Reps. Mike Thompson (D-Calif.) and Pete King (R-N.Y.) are pushing their version of the Manchin-Toomey bill, which would expand background checks to cover all firearm sales at gun shows and on the Internet. The bill is an extension of current law, which requires such screenings only for sales conducted by federally licensed gun dealers.............

Pelosi said the Democrats' strategy will now be to seek additional co-sponsors for the Thompson-King bill while pressuring Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders to bring it to the floor for a vote.

Thompson said the vice chairmen of his task force met Thursday morning with gun control advocates and staffers from the office of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

"It's not going to slow us or deter our work," Thompson said of Wednesday's Senate vote. "When we see what happens with the other two Senate amendments [Thursday], then we'll recalculate ... and get our bearing."........

Pelosi, for her part, said the Senate's failure to pass tougher gun laws this week will only galvanize gun control supporters.

"It's disappointing, but it's going to energize the effort," she said.

"We have to shorten the distance in time between the inconceivable to some and the inevitable to us."

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/294799-pelosi-tougher-gun-controls-inevitable#ixzz2Qrj7AA4s

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fru<span style="font-weight: bold">strated White House says future of gun control is now in public’s hands</span>

White House officials frustrated by the Senate’s rejection of gun control legislation said Thursday the fate of the issue is now in the public’s hands.

The comments suggest President Obama is unlikely to press forward on the issue after the stinging defeat of several gun control measures unless there is broad public outrage at the Senate.

It’s “too early to tell” what the next steps for the White House will be, a senior administration official said.

“It'll sort of depend on how this [issue] plays in the public,” the official continued. “If there's genuine outrage that the Senate did this, it's very possible it that this comes back again.”

The scale of Wednesday’s defeat suggests gun control legislation will not have the votes to make it through the Senate. ........

The assault weapons ban won only 40 votes. .....

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said Thursday that it would be pointless to move forward with the existing legislation because its measures are “virtually meaningless.”

“This bill as written is virtually meaningless and without any significant gun reform,” Murphy told reporters at the Capitol on Thursday. “I think we’re better off to go back to the table and try to work on this issue of background checks.”

White House officials say Obama -- who personally lobbied senators until the final hours before the vote -- did everything he could to push the measure, one that was significantly watered down from the legislation the president originally had on his wish list.

And officials downplayed the notion that the loss could weigh down the rest of Obama's agenda and strip some of the president's political capital, maintaining that Obama has the support of the public behind him.

Instead, officials put the blame squarely on the Senate.

“It's quite clear that [Obama] did everything imaginable to get this done,” the senior administration official said. “At the end of the day, the Senate couldn't get there ... the country has changed but it's clear that the Senate hasn't. I think it's an embarrassment for the Senate.” .........

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/administrati...s#ixzz2Qrm3y5ju

·
Administrator
28,382 Posts
Supporters of tougher gun laws did not hound Congress enough to get even widely popular reforms passed through the Senate this week, according to a number of observers on and off Capitol Hill.
Widely popular reforms? According to who, the same liars who told us that bobo doesnt want our guns?

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<span style="font-weight: bold">Holder feels 'frustration and anger' over gun bill defeat</span>

Attorney General Eric Holder expressed frustration and anger Thursday over the Senate's defeat of gun control legislation this week, but vowed he will continue to fight for measures to prevent gun violence.

“Despite my disappointment and, quite frankly, my frustration and anger at the filibuster in the Senate yesterday that led to the failure to adopt some of those changes, despite the fact that a majority voted for them, I and my colleagues throughout the administration remain committed to standing with the families of Newtown,” said Holder in testimony before the House Appropriations Committee on Thursday.

In pursuing the administration’s gun control agenda, Holder told lawmakers that the Justice Department could stand to increase the number of cases it prosecutes against people who have been denied federal permission to purchase a gun because they failed to pass a criminal background check.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Many Republicans, such as committee member Rep. Andy Harris (Md.)</span>, have long criticized that the Justice Department prosecutes a small fraction of the more than 83,000 people it denies the right to buy a gun.

Republicans argue that no new background check laws should be implemented until the department steps up its prosecutions of those who are barred from buying guns but attempt to do so anyway.

Holder defended the department’s actions, saying it prioritizes prosecutions based on who it feels would do the most harm to society if left unpunished.

“What we try to do is focus on those people who are most dangerous, who, if they did get a weapon inappropriately, are most likely to do something bad [or] harmful with it,” said Holder.

“With those people who try to get guns and then are not prosecuted, yeah, the number perhaps ought to be a little higher, I don’t know.”

“Not everybody who was denied a gun was in fact dangerous. There are a whole bunch of reasons why,” he said. “There were a host of people who, if they had gotten guns, undoubtedly would have done things that were harmful to their fellow citizens.”

<span style="font-weight: bold">Harris shot back,</span> “But not bad enough to prosecute.” He then switched topics in his line of questioning.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-r...t#ixzz2QrnbtPTN

·
Registered
314 Posts
Holder,"really".I guess he's the only one that can make straw purchases and walk thousands of true assault weapons into Mexico to the drug cartels.What a hipocrit.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I would love to know who and how they came up with these 90-92% nation wide approval figures. In 43 years I have never been officially asked for my opinion on gun issues and I'm certain no one contacted 330 Million people in order to come up with the figures the left spouts regularly. NO ONE ever calls them on these "facts".

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I like to see the background check approval rates for the guns sales APPROVED by Holder to the Mexican gangs.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I think if you asked anyone "are you in favor of background checks" the overwhelming response would be yes.

I am not convinced, however, that this translates to an overwhelming support for the proposed Universal Background Check that was just voted down.

Think of it this way- If there was a massive car accident and a poll went out asking "are you in favor of a drivers test to get a drivers license?" of course the answer from most people would be yes. Forget that we already require driving tests and that the majority of people never get in accidents of any serious nature, and that any sort of requirements would never in any way prevent a person who wanted to from starting a car and pulling out into the street.

Does this give the guvmn't free reign then to expand the test requirements to include felony charges for buying an unregistered car? An old jalopy in the barn that hasn't been on the road in decades?

I don't think so.

In the end, I don't think it matters what the "majority" thinks in terms of the Constitutional concerns the background check requirement imposes on society.

I also tire of the Left making this sound as if the NRA is some shadow lobbying organization. We need to make clear that the NRA represents 4+ million dues paying members. That's 4 million advocates who are all adults, vote, and stand behind their convictions.

Imagine if the pro-gay-marriage crowd had an organization with 4 million dues paying members. The Left would consider that group the spokes-group of society, above reproach, representative of "the people".

BH

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The so-called "90+%" in favor of increased background checks is based on a Quinnipiac University poll that was taken only in blue states- CT, MA, NY, etc.
No western or southern stetes in the poll. Many of the poeple who were polled don't know what laws already exist.
So the 90% figure is not what it's played up to be.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Bumblehick said:
I think if you asked anyone "are you in favor of background checks" the overwhelming response would be yes.

I am not convinced, however, that this translates to an overwhelming support for the proposed Universal Background Check that was just voted down.

Think of it this way- If there was a massive car accident and a poll went out asking "are you in favor of a drivers test to get a drivers license?" of course the answer from most people would be yes. Forget that we already require driving tests and that the majority of people never get in accidents of any serious nature, and that any sort of requirements would never in any way prevent a person who wanted to from starting a car and pulling out into the street.

Does this give the guvmn't free reign then to expand the test requirements to include felony charges for buying an unregistered car? An old jalopy in the barn that hasn't been on the road in decades?

I don't think so.

In the end, I don't think it matters what the "majority" thinks in terms of the Constitutional concerns the background check requirement imposes on society.

I also tire of the Left making this sound as if the NRA is some shadow lobbying organization. We need to make clear that the NRA represents 4+ million dues paying members. That's 4 million advocates who are all adults, vote, and stand behind their convictions.

Imagine if the pro-gay-marriage crowd had an organization with 4 million dues paying members. The Left would consider that group the spokes-group of society, above reproach, representative of "the people".

BH
You are right but the whole point is in your first sentence..." IF you asked..." My point is that they make these doctored claims as if they polled everyone in America then they repeatedly announce over and over and over (esp on the news) that how could something that over 90% of Americans want get turned down in the Senate?!?! They skew the facts and numbers so bad to suit and none of the right-wing media calls them out on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts