The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dehumidifier (70 pints) that I bought from Lowes that I placed in my basement upstate and turned it on two weeks ago. And since that day it has run constantly with not turning off. The digital display came down from 75 to 65 whatever that means. The hose goes into the sump pump.
I did have a basement waterproof company come in this past January & do $9000 in work in the basement. They also told me to buy a Dehumidifier & turn it on and let it run when the basement temperature gets over 45 degrees. This machine has not turned off since it started running. Is this thing broke?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
the reading is the humidity level i would guess. for a while it will run non stop until it gets to what ever humidity level its set to shut off.
depending on the size of the basement it might have a lot of moisture to pull from the air and where ever else it is trapped.

i would give the owners manual a good once over.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I have a full basement and my dehumidifier runs almost nonstop during the summer,and my electric bill reflects it too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Same here, I put mine on a timer to run 3 hours daily, I also have a box fan down there that runs the same three hours to keep the air moving. It works very well, basement is dry and no musty smell.

Bum

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Depending on how old the house is, the basement slab may not have a vapor barrier under it. If so, the capillary properties of concrete will continue to pull moisture through the slab into the basement. If that is the case, a good concrete sealer (the type used on commercial building curtain walls) will stop the migration of moisture through the slab thus resulting in less work for the dehumidifier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts