The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use one while they are at there camp? I am thinking it may help with the dampness. Unfortunately we would not be able to let it run if we are not there.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
That sounds like a good suggestion. westerwishes1, do you have a problem with them getting full and bursting or do you check them on a regular basis. like weekly or every so often

·
Registered
203 Posts
I run one all summer and it works well . Make sure you get the one with a hose attachment so you can run it into a drain. Mine also sets to 50%.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I run one all summer and it works well . Make sure you get the one with a hose attachment so you can run it into a drain. Mine also sets to 50%.
Ditto on drain connection - really, really makes a difference, ours runs from May through Nov depending on temps. Once we start heating it is stored.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
What make and models do you guys have?

I had two in the basement and I left on all the time. They worked but both failed after about a year. I wold like to get one that was dependable.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
your machine may have had a recall and I would google your make and model. Two years ago, My old one was recalled and I ended up buying a new one from Lowes and I believed I received about $130 back from the recall.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
your machine may have had a recall and I would google your make and model. Two years ago, My old one was recalled and I ended up buying a new one from Lowes and I believed I received about $130 back from the recall.
That may be. One did come from Lowe's.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
That may be. One did come from Lowe's.
Delonghi dehumidifiers are pretty good (made in Italy). Not cheap, but good. I run one year round and use to get no more than two years out of several other brands. Over the past 20 years I have had 2 Delonghis. Several of my friends have bought them on my recommendation, and all have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
I had one from Lowe’s at camp and it last 6 months. My buddy gave me an old one left at a house he was selling and it works like a champ. I have a hose connected and let it run all year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dogface ,I use the Delonghi , I think I purchased it at Lowes. as simoncool said it was not cheap but I'm on my 3rd year with it, and the musty smell and mildew is gone from camp.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is it better to run it in the basement? Our basement is a stone foundation and dirt floor. Or would it be better on the first floor?

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
When I ran the two I had they were in the basement. They did make a difference in dampness throughout the house and the damp smell was gone.

I did look at the Delonghi. I want to call the company and see if there would be an issue if I put it on a timer to run intermittently each day.

·
Registered
25,473 Posts
Had a Westinghouse dehumidifier in the basement at home, that ran for over 30 summers in my parents' basement and then in mine.

Replaced it with another Westinghouse, back in the late 80s. Humidistat control died after maybe 20 years ($60 for a new one), so I jumped the wiring and kept using it. Bucket switch shut if off when full. It finally croaked last fall. Both of those dehumidifiers were made in the USA.

Now I have a ChiCom Haier at home, given by a friend whose mom passed away several years ago. She sold mom's house, I got the Haier for helping her clean out the house.

Got a portable room A/C unit from a BIL for $50 a few years ago. That's at camp. "Heat" Discharge goes in a window, does a pretty good job of cooling the living room/kitchen area at camp. Drilled a hole at the floor/outside partition plate for the drain hose.

That part of camp is on piers, so not an issue. The rest of the place is over a block crawl space. The unit also has a dehumidifier setting that we use when it's humid, but not hot enough for the A/C. It's probably another ChiCom bit of wizardry, forget the brand?

Last summer was the first time since the camp has been there (1980s), that we ever had any dampness/mildew issues inside the place. Probably because of all the early summer rains? Have two awning windows up high in the bunk room/bedroom area that we let open a crack in warm weather. Up until last summer, that was enough ventilation to keep the place dry when unoccupied.

Bunk/bedroom area gets afternoon sun. So after the dampness issue, changed the mini blinds to let some sunlight in, instead of keeping it out as before. No more issues rest of the year, with dampness. Sunlight is your friend, if your camp gets any.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I did look at the Delonghi. I want to call the company and see if there would be an issue if I put it on a timer to run intermittently each day.
I would find it hard to believe that would be a problem. Just curious though, why you would want to do that? The point is to get the place at a specific humidity level by setting the level on the unit so if you are Only running it now and then you are wasting your time

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
I received a call from Vremi. They recommended against putting it on a timer.

I don't want it to run all the time when I am not there because of cost but that might not be a viable option.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts