The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First i beetle clean teh skulls. Then i degrease in many forms.I cant seem to get my predator or beaver skulls degreased 100%. I simmer in borax and Ajax. I tried ammonia.Does anyone have any tips on how to degrease fatty skulls without loosing up the teeth or splitting the skulls.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Yeah acetone works, long soaks in Dawn dis detergent works too, especially with a heater.

The professionals use something that supposedly degreases skulls in like a day. I'd LOVE to know what that is.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I soaked 4 boar skulls in dawn dish soap, ammonia, and water for over 4 months last year. I had a fish tank heater in the water and changed the water, with extremely hot water, every other day. If you look at them now, you can't tell I even tried degreasing them. The lesson I learned, was to send them to a professional! Deer on the other hand are much easier to clean.

·
Registered
615 Posts
my friend uses NAPA engine degreaser ,,,,,,, his skulls are squeaky clean. he soaks them over night in a parts washer... looks to me it works!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought krud cleaner today from home depot. it seems to be working well. i put a bobcat in there this morn and after work the water was very cloudy. i guess i will c tomorow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try a product called Terg-a -zyme. It is an enzyme that is used in hospitals for cleaning. About 1/4 cup or less in water. The enzyme works on heat, but don't boil it or you will destroy the product and it won't work. I have used radiant heat in the summer time (a clear plastic jug with a tight lid) and about 5 days with a beetle cleaned skull. This winter I put in next to my fireplace, changed the water twice, added another 1/4 cup and in 1 week things were white. I won't damage the skulls either I have done alot that way. You can heat it on a hot plate or burner, but again not on high. The stuff runs about 30-40 bucks for a 4lb box, but that box will last awhile. It will even clean fully fleshed skulls given enough time and waterchanges.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The terg-a-zyme is antler safe. I have done a few and it did not affect the color or texture. I haven't seen it in any stores, but if you check the net it is readily available, but check prices. I have seend it between 35 and 60 bucks. The price has gone up since last I bought it but it is still worth it if you do alot of skulls since not only does it degrease, but it will help with whitening and remove some of the stuborn carliage and tendons. The biggest problem is the soaking and teeth falling out.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Degreasing something for the short-term isn't the problem, it's the long term. Yeah a skull looks degreased NOW, but how does it look a year or so from now?

We shot bears on a guided hunt a few years ago and had the skulls "professionally" cleaned. They came back looking great, now, ALL kinds of grease coming out of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have used the enzyme on skulls and have them for 10 years with no change. Since it not only removes the greese but uses the active enzyme to destroy it I don't think there is a concern about return.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Derek, let me know how this stuff works out for you if you try it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was reading that that if left in enzyme for to long it can eat away at the skull. Going to look deeper into it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts