The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted in the Bug In or Bug Out topic.
I am not sure who posted this , but I am curious about the definition.

"I would first check my vehicle then may need to "borrow" one if mine fails.."

After the riots in LA, and after katrina, a lot of people(and some police) were seen borrowing things. The Korean market owners in LA set up on top of their stores to keep this kind of borrowing from happening. Or, am I wrong in my defenition of borrowing?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Definition:

Borrowing: to take or obtain with the promise to return the same or an equivalent:

It doesn't say anything about obtaining permission first. But I will tell you if you "borrow" something from me, and I don't know you from a cake of soap, it's stealing....not "borrowing". Charges will\would be filed.

Then we will know each other. At least, at some level.

Dave

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
If the totally bad crap hits the ventilation system, there won't be anyone to file charges or to file charges with. Borrowing would become a simple appropriation for personal purposes.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They should probably appropriate a casket first if they appropriate from the wrong place, and there are many wrong places.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
It depends on how bad it would be. Borrowing and whether it is stealing may well be a measure of who has the most firepower.

In addition, when folks bug out, they tend to go in one vehicle and stay together. How many households have two and three cars? They will be leaving some of them behind. At what point, when people desert their homes & area does it get considered as abandoned/ ie left to whomever? Look at the still trashed areas of New Orleans. Hundreds of houses and structures abandoned, Sure they may belong to someone. Are they alive? Will it take 7 yrs of being gone to declare them dead? At what point does the property in such houses become considered abandoned?

If I am driving down the road and see a chain binder laying on the shoulder, can I legally pick it up and keep it? Is there a duty to leave it lay? (I have gotten multiple chains annd chain binders thhat way)

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
i would have no problem borrowing something from a store if it was going to save my life.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll lend led at 100yard intervals to anyone who I don't know looking to "borrow" from my family. They can also have as many as they like : )

·
Registered
957 Posts
my neighbor has two older model trucks that should work after something like an emp pulse, and since he lives alone he isnt going to be driving both, but if he bugs out, i am not going to wait around to ask him about the second one if mine won work. and dare i say that anyone who says they would be willing to walk right by a perfectly good vehicle because they dont have permission when that vehicle may be their only way out, has very little grasp on the dire consequences of the situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts