The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought this gun, and now I am really starting to like it despite all my previous troubles trying to get a good grouping. However, the ramrod that comes with this muzzy seems awful cheap to me. It appears to be made of plastic. All I know is that it seems extremely flimsy to me. It bends way too much. I am also worried about using it in cold weather (I dont wanna see it snap in half)
What material is best for a ramrod? I need something a little firmer. I also hate the color, it is jet black. It is hard to mark a line on it for proper loading position.

·
Banned
330 Posts
I agree 100%, I replaced mine with a aluminum one that I purchased from one of the muzzleloader sites. It is black anodized but marks easy with a knife. It is much better.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have the stock ramrod with my deerstalker, it my look cheep, but it is tougher than you think

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Yea, I haven't had any problems with mine.... however, I use a RMC rod for range work with a muzzle guide. I did use mine in the past when needed, never had a problem. But it is dark and hard to mark on the thing.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Get a hickory one and finish it to fit the pipes. I use brass at the range and hickory while hunting.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
northeasttradeco.com in Muncy. He will have any muzzleloader supply you wiill ever need. 570-546-2061 talk to Trapper John Dewald

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the info and mean no offense to anyone, but I just don't see how customized a ramrod can really be. I can possibly understand a carved hickory one for traditional appearance, but other than that it would still be cylindrical and about 24" long. What's it got? Ornate markings and a turquoise head?
It's the material it's made of that concerns me most. Seems to me a rod off the rack at any blackpowder shop should work.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Sorry when i say custome, I should have just said the guy makes them in his garage and shippes them to you for 26 bucks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts