The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed very little surface rust on spots on my barrell this morning. Anyone know what to do to prevent this? I clean all my guns very good but esp. this gun bc i absolutly love this lyman muzzleloader.

Also through the fall during work i ran into a older fellow who is into shooting these guns and told me to use murphys oil soap to clean the barrell and these run some on a patch like you would a bore butter , he told me he has 50 shots out of his gun before he cleans it, but then its still not that bad.
Also he said to tear up a bees nest and place down your loaded barrell if your hunting in the rain or wet conditions, im not sure if these things work but i figured i would pass them on, happy shooting.

·
Registered
81 Posts
After a thorough cleaning, use a good gun oil, or CLP (Cleaner Lubricant Protectant) and wipe down all metal before putting the ML away. I use Clenzoil, a CLP, both in the bore, and all exterior metal, never any rust problems. Also, what you are refering to bees nest, I think you mean hornet nesting. If you are shooting a patched round ball, and put some hornets nest (The gray paperlike material) over your powder, it will help prevent patch burnout/blowout. This is an oldtimers trick. However, if you use a good patch material such as pillow ticking, with a good lube, (Hoppes #9 Plus for example) there is no need for hornet nesting. I shoot many roundballs all year, and never have patch failure. In my .54 Deerstalker, I use 90 grains FFG Goex, with a patched round ball, .530", and get great results. One of my best shooting muzzleloaders.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts