The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got this guy haloween night. as you can see in the picture he still has velvet on the one side i was wondering if this could be saved. i kinda like the velvet falling off look and think it will give the mount a really cool look. has anyone ever seen one killed with velvet still on this is a first for me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Probably not. Being that velvet is living tissue, what's left there is basically decomposed flesh. Im sure someone may reccomend to freeze dry, but at this point I would try to reproduce it before I would attempt to freeze dry.
To be curious....did you strip the other side off? Because it is definitely very recently stripped.

·
Banned
649 Posts
I've mounted two that had full velvet from pa gun season in my 8 years as a taxidermist, they both were missing testicles! You could certainly have your dermist reproduce the shedding look.

·
Registered
295 Posts
im pretty sure a good taxidermist could replicate the velvet

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe I have seen velvet injected with preserving fluid before. I don't have more detail than that so I would recommend calling several taxis for an opinion.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
xdodgex said:
Probably not. Being that velvet is living tissue, what's left there is basically decomposed flesh. Im sure someone may reccomend to freeze dry, but at this point I would try to reproduce it before I would attempt to freeze dry.
To be curious....did you strip the other side off? Because it is definitely very recently stripped.
Freeze drying the antlers will save that velvet without a problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did not peel the other side this pic is about 2 hrs after i shot it. the deer was soaked from head to toe due to the hurricane! so im going to let it dry one more night than it goes to the freezer tomorrow. probably get it to the taxi this thursday or friday. the velvet has dried out alot since the night i shot it . it was wet and rubbery. even if he cant use it in the mount i hope he can get it off ok. im gonna call him up opn monday. anything special i need to do when putting him in the freezer? thanks

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
My friend shot a buck in rifle that was still in full velvet. We came to find out that it was castrated (probably due to the barbed wire fences around the area). It also had a broadhead in its neck, but survived that hit. I guess that I can mention that I shot at the buck first and knocked half the rack off and when we got up to it, the rack was bleeding.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
There is nothing special you need to do besides get that deer in the freezer as soon as you can. Leaving it sit out an cause issues with your cape. Your taxidermist should be able to keep that velvet on there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts