The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pictures of a shooter buck on my camera with what looks to me like a tumor right at the begining of the chest.
My question is if I shot the buck, is the meat any good? I don't know if deer get cancer like humans, but if so, I really don't want to take the chance of eating deer meat with cancer in them.
IF the meat is no good to eat, would I get a replacement buck tag?
I would like to harvest the buck, is a weird rack, 4 pts on one side and a spike on the other, could I keep the rack if I get a replacement tag.

DAn

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Usually those tumors are just the fatty type.They are harmless.Trust me if the meat is tainted you won't have to ask anyone.I have seen only one deer with a tumor that was bad and the tumor was actually a 3 1/2" piece of cedar arrow with a 2 blade head on the end.It was in the deer for enough time to have a fibroid casing form over the foreign body.The deer had gangrene and it was nasty,greenish color and a smell you won't soon forget.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
There are a couple does on my property with the tumors. I wouldn't worry about eating a buck that has a tumor on it's skin. Eating an animal that has cancer is not going to increase your risk of getting cancer. They are unrelated...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You will have to forefit the entire deer, horns and all. They will give you a new tag. If the deer is bad the meat will be discolored and should have a really bad odor. My grandfather shot one with ganggreen from an arrow wound. That was the worst smelling thing you could imagine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts