The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a PGC approved way to put the new tags on a kill???
I couldn't find anything about it except, "in the ear".
Back of my tag has safety recommendtions for ice fishing???

I just dragged the deer to the car (I know that is a no-no), because I knew I had a copy of the 8x11 comic book and thought it might have some recommendations. Then put the tag in the ear and duct taped it all up, looked silly? Must be a better way.

·
Registered
730 Posts
ive seen it one all ways..i use a zip tie..actually 2...one gets threaded through ear the other ties the ear shut with tag inside...ive seen:

bread ties
duct tape
electrical tape
tags in fishing license holders
heavy wire
baler twine
string
shoelaces
pieces of clothing
and just a slit in the ear with the tag in it

as long as it is in the ear and ATTACHED in some fashion you are good to go!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There are two perforated hole tabs on the license for the tie to go through, no different than the other tags but you have to punch out the holes. I use wire ties.

·
Registered
291 Posts
psutrapper said:
ive seen it one all ways..i use a zip tie..actually 2...one gets threaded through ear the other ties the ear shut with tag inside...
I agree! That way I don't have to worry about the tag getting ripped off or lost.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
We just use zip ties, poke a hole in the ear and attach. The tags are quite durable. I have used them in other states and was delighted to see the PGC finally going to them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I remember the first deer I shot I used my license holder to pin the tag to the deer’s ear. I then loaded the deer onto the top of the spare tire on my Jeep Wrangler and drove from Huntingdon to Harrisburg. Somewhere along the way it blew off however I didn't realize until I got home and was getting ready to take it to the butcher. Wouldn't you know there was a DWCO at the butcher shop checking deer. There was also a sign there that said no deer accepted without a tag. I talked to the DWCO and told him what had happened. He gave me a hard time at first then he told me to make sure to roll it up inside the ear and rap some string or rubber bands around the ear to keep it safe next time. He had me write out my own tag as a land owner would do and attach it to the deer. I never made that mistake again!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no problem with attaching a tag, (been doing it for 51 years). The problem I have is the NEW TAGS--I don't see any holes??? no perforations. I'm not talking about old, last year tags. The new tags don't have any holes to attach a string, etc to!!!!

Can I just punch a hole or is that somekind of disfiguring of the 'official tag', to get the boys in green after me?????? Just try to do things right.

The new plastic tags are nice, I use them in New York. But the NYDNC doesn't want you to attach the tag to the deer in the field. They say that is silly, just keep it in your pocket until you are well out of the woods; draging with tags just losses the tag, and wastes their time getting replacements and talking to folks that lost them dragging the deer out with the tag on. Makes loads of sense to me.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
I have no problem with attaching a tag, (been doing it for 51 years). The problem I have is the NEW TAGS--I don't see any holes??? no perforations. I'm not talking about old, last year tags. The new tags don't have any holes to attach a string, etc to!!!!

Can I just punch a hole or is that somekind of disfiguring of the 'official tag', to get the boys in green after me?????? Just try to do things right.

The new plastic tags are nice, I use them in New York. But the NYDNC doesn't want you to attach the tag to the deer in the field. They say that is silly, just keep it in your pocket until you are well out of the woods; draging with tags just losses the tag, and wastes their time getting replacements and talking to folks that lost them dragging the deer out with the tag on. Makes loads of sense to me.
Like John said there are two perforated holes in the middle of the license (if you look closely). You have to punch them out. Just put your zip tie though them. I guess it's possible your license didn't get the holes for some reason.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I got a new set of tags this morning. I see some just bearly perceptable circles, not really perforations. Looks like if I carry a large headless nail in my license holder, I can use it like an awl and push thru two holes.

Now that I think of it, if it is legal, I'll just punch two holes now with a paper punch and have it done. Maybe having the prepunched holes will put the wammie on me! LOL

thanks guys

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I saw a buddy of mine use a HUGE Shower Curtain Ring this past rifle season to secure his Tag on the Doe he shot the last thursday of rifle season...I told him it was going to rip off from the mile drag he had to do and he should carry zip ties like I carry...I even offered 1 to him and he refused and told me he has been using the Huge Shower Curtain clips for years...

He punched the holes out on the tag, folded it over to make the 2 holes line up, put the huge shower curtain clip thru the tag and then punched it thru the ear of the doe... and away he went... 1 mile later, the tag was still there when we got to my truck...

I will still use my zip ties...but these new tags seem to hold up a lot better then the old tags did!!!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I just fill out the tag, stick it down in the ear and zip tie the ear shut, no problems. I wouldn't do that with a buck I wanted to have mounted though.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
springfreak said:
I just fill out the tag, stick it down in the ear and zip tie the ear shut, no problems. I wouldn't do that with a buck I wanted to have mounted though.

WHY?????

I do not punch holes in a buck or does ears when I secure my tag... I just shove it down in the ear and then loop the zip tie around the ear and pull it TIGHT...That zip tie is NOT going to cause any damage and even if you punched a hole in the ear, ALL Taxidermists can fix holes in the ears that you NEVER know they were there...if a taxidermist's can not fix any hole in an ear...they should not being trying to be a taxidermist!!

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I don't punch a hole either, it's just that the zip tip squeezes the ear together and if it's that way for awhile it wants to stay that way..

·
Registered
957 Posts
I dont punch holes in the ear either just zp tie it shut but i also agree if your taxidermist cant fix a little hole in the ear, you better find a new one.. lol

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
springfreak said:
I don't punch a hole either, it's just that the zip tip squeezes the ear together and if it's that way for awhile it wants to stay that way..
Have you ever taken to the time to stand and talk to a taxidermist?

Dont matter if that ear wants to stay that way...once they skin it our and then cure the hide and then stretch it over the mold that is going to be used as the base of the mount... they do many things to the hide, rack and other things...including the ears...

taxidermists are like Undertakers....they make things appear life like... bad things can happen at the time of death and afterwards and a good taxidermist or undertaker is able to make things look life like as it was before it's death!

Take some time and talk to the taxidermist you use about how they do thier work... yo uwill then see a zip tie secured to the outside of the ear and making it sqeezed shiut, is NOT going to look like that once the hide is cured and all other work is done to the mount before you pick it up!!

Ever see a duck or goose or any other game bird that had it's neck rung to finish the kill? the neck most times is crooked and does not apear life like... but when a taxidermist is done with it and it hangs on the wall, no one can tell you did a wind mill on the bird to finish the kill!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
I just dragged the deer to the car (I know that is a no-no), because I knew I had a copy of the 8x11 comic book and thought it might have some recommendations. Then put the tag in the ear and duct taped it all up, looked silly? Must be a better way.

If it's such a comic book, why couldn't YOU understand the part about tagging your deer before you move it? You've had all year to look at this new license and tag, but now it's the tags fault. I love it.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
psutrapper said:
ive seen it one all ways..i use a zip tie..actually 2...one gets threaded through ear the other ties the ear shut with tag inside...ive seen:

bread ties
duct tape
electrical tape
tags in fishing license holders
heavy wire
baler twine
string
shoelaces
pieces of clothing
and just a slit in the ear with the tag in it

as long as it is in the ear and ATTACHED in some fashion you are good to go!
I used baler twine for many years with the old tags!Now i just use zip ties!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Beartrppr said:
Harrysigafoo said:

If it's such a comic book, why couldn't YOU understand the part about tagging your deer before you move it? You've had all year to look at this new license and tag, but now it's the tags fault. I love it.

There's no pictures.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts