The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found some recipes for making Philly style cheesesteak sandwich using chipped deer steak. My question is how do you get the chipped steak cut? Do you need to have the butcher do this when the deer is processed or can you take some deer steaks and chip them yourselves? Can anyone tell me how to chip the steaks?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
get your butcher to cut your hams thin. about 1/8" thick. you can do it yourself if you have a slicer. a lb of deer steakums and a jar of mushroom pepper speggetti sauce dang that is some good eating.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
When I have our deer done I always get them to do some chip steaks and make some into salami and Kielbasa. I don’t know if just cutting down some steaks or a roast will be the same.

Deer chip steaks Philadelphia style with fried onions is very good and healthy…well until you pour on the cheese whiz.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I chip my own. Get a good really sharp knife and just shave the meat off the sections that you want to chip. Most time I will do this with left over chunks from the hams or the front shoulders can work also.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
If you have a slicer, just set it on a thin setting and start chipping away!! I'd pass on the canned cheese junk though. For a nice twist try using either blue cheese or gorgonzola, or even a blend of grated mozzarella and asiago. Add some fried onions and peppers and some good marinara sauce and you have a hootenanny in your mouth!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Slicing is easier if the meat is partially frozen. I like with onions, peppers, mushrooms and good aged provolone on a good crusty roll when you can find one!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You're 100% right on that one bobby, partially frozen is best for slicing. Mushrooms, provolone and a hard roll, now I'm hungry!!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
call me wierd...provolone has it's place, but the taste of game can stand up and bark to a better piece of cheese. I'm partial to smoked jarlesburg or smoked havarti when using this. Matter of fact, i found a 1 lb pack of chops yesterday and have been eating this for 2 days now for lunch. Killed the last of it today. I'm now OFFICIALLY out of deer meat LOL...unless i find another pack hidden someplace else :rolleyes:

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
my budy and I planned on doing this, using his slicer and just cutting some very thin slices from some back straps. Thought it would be the best cut.

Glad to hear others succeeded at it! We will do i tthis year when we make the sausage. Always a big day with fresh sausage right off the grinder, and a Steelers game on while stuffing about 50 pounds of sausage. (We make that in a Hot Italian style.)

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I just got a RKD today from 1 of the Township officers... I been wanting to try chipped steak from a deer but always forgot to do it..

Not this time..I'm gonna debone 1 of the back legs and freese it part way and run it thru my slicer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. I will have the butcher chip some of my next deer for sure. In the meantime I will try to slice one piece of what I have in the freezer.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
hawkenlh said:
Thanks for the replies. I will have the butcher chip some of my next deer for sure. In the meantime I will try to slice one piece of what I have in the freezer.
Do you know the guy very well, who owns the Butcher Shop you use?

If you do, you might want to consider asking him if he would shave a few steaks for you to make into chip steaks....some will do it for a regular customer they know really well!

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
Been making my own venison minute steaks for years with a hand cranked slicer.
John Henry- Save them backstraps for the grill!
John Henry + Woody- Bone out that hindquarter and then separate off the individual muscles. Peel off the silver and gettem about half frozen, as suggested. All that's left to do is to put them on the slicer. Be sure to cut across the grain.

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
By the way, as long as you've got the slicer out you might as well cut some steaks a bit thicker and then beat the snot out of them with a meat tenderizing hammer. You'll end up with some pretty good venison cubed steaks.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
DIYASUB said:
By the way, as long as you've got the slicer out you might as well cut some steaks a bit thicker and then beat the snot out of them with a meat tenderizing hammer. You'll end up with some pretty good venison cubed steaks.
with that, we can now understand why your having heart malfunctions aot....your always pounding the snot out of everything

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
DIYASUB said:
with that, we can now understand why your having heart malfunctions aot....your always pounding the snot out of everything
Nitroglycerin! Dont leave home without it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts