The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember back in 1970's... Pa hunters talking about the Deer Slayer Barrels... Like the Model 37 big time... Sure took a lot of game with it... The barrel was a 30 inch full choke... I even killed a few grouse with it .. Not bad for a full choke gun... I did get me a 20 Inch cylinder Deer Slayer barrel...I was going to buy 4570 Lever action. I have decided that should I still hunt I'm going to use the Model 37 pump with that deer slayer barrel... I had a Leupold 1.5 pistol scope on it and I removed it and will use it for a pistol..... I'm looking forward to using the Deer Slayer for deer.. I don't think I will remove the plug .. I know I can do.. 3 shots are plenty for me.. Maybe?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know if I'm going to use it I my as well remove the plug and fill her up.. I hunt in Va now too so I can use the 30 inch barrel for hunting down there without the plug in it...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Does your 30" Deer Slayer barrel have sights? I never saw a 30 incher for the 37.

Mine is 20" with sights and an open bore. It is accurate for a slug barrel.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Ithaca basically made/makes 3 iterations of the deerslayers.
the oldest is the removable, sighted barrels in either 20 or 24" .they came both smoothbore and rifled
they also offered a rifled or smoothbore 20 or 24" fixed barrel gun that was more accurate and tapped for scopes.
and finally they offer a removable cantilever barrel that lets you mount a scope and swap bird barrels without having to rezero the scope

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the 30 inch barrel is a regular full choke vent barrel... I remove that and put on the 20 inch deer slayer barrel that does have fixed sights.. I shoot LH so I took it to a gun smith and he reversed the safety for me...I really love that pump gun!!! Only thing because I purchased it in and around 1976 it only has 2 3/4 chambers.. But wow it has harvested many a red fox.. I just might have to try it with some # 4 buck shot for gray fox since they come right to the speaker...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Mine prefers Winchester and Brenneke but they all have changed and I have not tried others lately.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ihave a 16 guage model 37 deer slayer with two barrels, the deer slayer barrel is 20". Shot a fair number of deer with in in special regulations areas and Illinois.

Bought it new back in around 1964 or 1965. I came up with 1/2 the money mowing yards, baling hay and such. Dad kicked in the other half. I was age 11 at the time.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do like to still hunt for deer.. It doesn't have to be a buck.. I can't wait to do the ole stalk on dry land.. 4 steps and stop.. Hey deer have 4 legs. It would be so nice to use that model 37 to get the jump on the deer doing the silent stalk.. As you know? The 4 steps and pause, 4 steps and pause, makes the deer think your just another deer...Now in snow or crunchy snow you have to cut down on your 4 steps to 3 and even 2 to compensate for the crunch.. What an outstanding feeling to bag a deer by stalking it... I was going to buy a 4570 lever action.. Now I'm going to use the ole Model 37 with the 20 inch deer slayer barrel, no scope, and Foster slugs..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.