The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
We did that 40 years ago on the neighbors farm, as it goes down the hill faster it starts bouncing it was hard to hit. We used to wire a piece of plywood in the center to tell if you hit it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy,the tire roller must have got a work out !
As with everything,on site,i am waiting for the "DO YOU KNOW HOW UNSAFE THAT IS."

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
next time you see a deer rolling down the hill inside a tire all that practice will pay off

·
Registered
830 Posts
IMO Running shots in PA are made by the dangerous lead slingers who empty their mags - oftentimes with no regard for what lies behind the deer they are slinging lead at...

Glad I don't hunt near any of them.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would much rather shoot at a rolling tire than go look for a friggin Pokemon. I guess I best not tell some of the things we used to do for entertainment or the bashers will be out in full force!

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
rolling tire is excellent practice as long as its done in safe manner. i saw videos of bowhunters doing that too.

its great practice especially for deer drives during archery season. done right the deer are just trotting along, not racing at break neck speed.

dont let others tell you how to prepare for the season. just be safe in all we do.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I do something similar but with Lifesaver candies. Tough to tell if I hit them when I use the smaller calibers because I usually put the bullet through the hole.

·
Banned
851 Posts
HD1969 said:
IMO Running shots in PA are made by the dangerous lead slingers who empty their mags - oftentimes with no regard for what lies behind the deer they are slinging lead at...

Glad I don't hunt near any of them.
You better move out of the North East then. There's lots of dangerous lead slingers around. I guess the Benoints some of the most respected deer hunters, yes actual hunters, in the world are dangerous lead slingers. They are pretty darn good at slinger their lead where they want it to go, because they kill some dandy bucks. Most with more than one shot! Oh, no!

If you know how to do shoot a running or trotting deer, there isn't a thing wrong with it. Knowing your surroundings has nothing to do with shooting running deer. If somebody is dumb enough to shoot a running deer with an unsafe back stop chances are they would shoot at it standing as well.

Practice makes perfect. Yes, shooting tires with plywood in is great practice. It's an unpredictable path, just like a deer. The Benoints do this at their tracking school.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I've practiced with a bow and arrow using a rolling tire, that's hard to do. I've never tried it with a gun.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
i took 4 shots at a buck trotting/running across a sloping field, nice hillside for a backdrop.

when it fell, i counted 147 paces from where i shot to where the deer lay dead. hit it twice in the boiler room.

thats the only time i shot at a running deer. did i have to...NOPE

did i want to?...YEP

did i make sure it was safe to do so?...YEP

that was quite the experience. would i do so again?....only under the same circumstances. but back then i didnt have to count points, so that would be the only problem under the same situation.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Once you learn to keep the crosshairs moving when you pull the trigger like leading with a shotgun it isn't really too hard. I've shot probably 20 deer that were on the move at all distances from short to pretty long. Their speed and the distance determines where you hold.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I'll bite,On a deer that you guess to be 75 yards away and running hard,how far do you lead it with a .308?

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
dce said:
I'll bite,On a deer that you guess to be 75 yards away and running hard,how far do you lead it with a .308?
Same question to you. How far do you lead a dove, grouse, or teal at 40 yards to assure that the densest part of the pattern hits the bird to assure a clean kill? Most bird hunters lead by feel just as most instinctive archers aim by feel. Many that shoot at moving deer with rifles do the same. As long as thier backdrop is safe, amd they have practiced the shot, more power to those that are successful at it. There are plenty of bird hunters that have no business shooting at moving birds either but birds don't have big brown eyes, which seems to matter more to some which gets us back to the unfortunate practice of hunters trashing other hunters techniques or equipment.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I guess the difference with a bird is that one out of 100 pellets hits a wing and the bird goes down. Deer can run off and never be found.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dpms,that's the ticket,practice and safety. The rolling tire is why so many old timers could take down a moving deer and with open sights!
At my age,now,i wouldn't shoot at nothing moving smaller that a freight train car!

·
Registered
18,795 Posts
WOL said:
I guess the difference with a bird is that one out of 100 pellets hits a wing and the bird goes down. Deer can run off and never be found.
Certainly. And that 1 pellet or 5 pellets is just as likely to hit the gut resulting in that bird to fly off and never be found again. Point is both shots and weapons require practice to learn to judge lead to assure a clean kill. Many that oppose anyone taking moving shots at deer often times rarely practice moving shots at birds at various ranges and flight patterns, yet have no issues with taking those shots at birds. Yes, they will say "but a shotgun is throwing a pattern". Sure it is, but the if the killing part of the pattern is not centered on the bird, there is a very good chance of wounded birds flying off resulting in fatal injuries.

Deer cause some crazy debates that seem to be non issues with other animals. Dove season is approaching. How many shots does it take to harvest a dove, on average? How many doves are hit and not recovered? Folks have issues with someone that has practiced moving shots at deer taking those shots yet never say a peep about shots they personally take that are just as questionable on other species.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Well, I will agree that more hearts are broken by a 10 point buck not being found than a dove. For right or for wrong, I have not seen too many folks in shambles because they can't find that dove that looked like it fell in the soybeans.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts