The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a Reminder to some of you who tried it and liked it a few years back when I and another explained how to make it...

Make sure to save the hearts, and Bones when you get a deer in the seasons coming up so you have what you need to make it again!

1 of my Buddies reminded me yesturday to make sure I made more this year....he likes it with Hot Pepper instead of black pepper

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
there were a couple listed last year. First year i heard of making scrapple with venison, and it sounds really good. It will never fly with my wife, but still sounds good.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
jayd4wg said:
there were a couple listed last year. First year i heard of making scrapple with venison, and it sounds really good. It will never fly with my wife, but still sounds good.
Thats why, unless I'm working late and she makes hot pockets or frozen pizza I do the cooking. When I cook its the old policy of "dont ask, don't tell" as far as ingredients or processing.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John Henry said:
what do you do with the bones?
You boil them off, then let them cool and pull the bits of meat off them to use in the scrapple..

I do not have an exact Recipe... I go by what I was told by a guy on another site a few years back..

Place bones and hearts in a big pot of water add a little salt (not much, maybe 4 tablespoons if it is a good size pot)... boil them for about 2 hours or so then take them and set them to cool.....once cool the fat chould be hard on top of the bones and thickened water... simply pull that hardened fat off and pitch it..

Next, take the bones and pick the bits of meat off them and save, remove tendons and Grissle and pitch all of it......

take the hearts and shred them into small pieces and get rid of the valves and other nasty things...

Then, reheat water, put all the meat back in, once boiling, Slowly and I mean SLOWLY put in handfulls of corn meal and Stir.. do this slowly....once it gets thick, add a bunch of black pepper or red pepper......you want a good portion of pepper... Stir it in real good....while stiring you should be getting a GOOD Workout from it getting super Thick!

After things are all stired up, laddle into greased loaf pans and set somewere cool so they set up....once set up you have 2 ways to cook it..

1 way... slice as thick or thin as you like, dredge in beaten egg and then flour or break crumbs and deep frie

second way... simply slice as thick or thin as you want it and then cook in a pan with Butter (NOT that Fake Yellow Stuff) till golden brown!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
pan fried scrapple in bacon fat is heavenly. I had some liver mush down in NC once during a 4 wheeling trip to uwharrie...

ALMOST makes me wanna make some scrapple. I have a far better chance of buying it though.

·
Registered
576 Posts
3rd way to do it is microwave
I have had mixed reviews on deer srapple
I put Montreal steak seasoning & a splash of liquid smoke in mine.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
jayd4wg said:
pan fried scrapple in bacon fat is heavenly. I had some liver mush down in NC once during a 4 wheeling trip to uwharrie...

ALMOST makes me wanna make some scrapple. I have a far
better chance of buying it though.
Sounds like something I'd like to try, recipe for pan fried in bacon fat?

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
don't make it harder than it is springfreak:)

ya know that tub of bacon grease you (should) keep around? Put a couple spoons of that in your cast iron skillet, and get it good and hot...

Slice up the scrapple and fry them in the bacon fat. Add a couple quick fried eggs and it just don't get much betta. I love sourdough toast with it too!

·
Premium Member
24,023 Posts
Sounds yummy!! I love scrapple but never had deer scrapple.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i dont know how much longer i can sit at my desk and read this stuff without eating a hole in my comp. chair.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I made it last year but used roasts instead of the hearts and such. Saw a show on the Food Network where a PA native moved to CA and opened a diner where he made fresh scrapple for their menu. Instead of pork snouts and stuff, he cubed up pork loins, boiled the cubes, then puree'd them in a food processor- that was the "meat" part- from there, follow any recipe you can find on-line for scrapple- only in my case I used boiled cubed venison roasts/hind quarters instead of pork- Maybe not strictly scrapple as made by purists, but I think it was fantastic and several folks told me it was as good/better than regular scrapple you buy at the store. Easy to make too. It had the same texture as scrapple and was spicy but not too spicy. In the next day or so I'll post the recipe I used (amounts of flour, spices, etc.).

BH

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
BH I would like to have that recipe. Can not wait to try it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
In a big cast iron kettle boil off 2-3 deer carcases till meat is off the bone.Strain off broth from bones and meat.Broth in 5gal buckets outside in cold to skim tha deer fat off.CAREFULLY pick thru the bones/meat and disgard any grissle,bones,or anything you can't chew.Run meat thru grinder.Put broth back in kettle and boil.Add ground meat.Boil.Mix in separate container 10lb flour(rye,buckwheat,etc)8lb cornmeal,10 oz salt,4-8 oz pepper.You need a couple guys to stir the kettle as it gets stiff.Add dry mix handfull by handfull till gone.Back heat down so you don't burn and ruin the batch.Stir with a good old fashoned kettle stirer.When scrapple pulls off the sides of the kettle as you stir and no longer sticks,shut off heat and scoop into scrapple pans and let cool.

The best scrapple you will EVER have is right out of the kettle!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jayd4wg said:
don't make it harder than it is springfreak:)

ya know that tub of bacon grease you (should) keep around? Put a couple spoons of that in your cast iron skillet, and get it good and hot...

Slice up the scrapple and fry them in the bacon fat. Add a couple quick fried eggs and it just don't get much betta. I love sourdough toast with it too!

You forgot to Add the "Recipe"!

Take some Bacon...Cook it off in a Pan...When Bacon is Done cooking, Pour the Liquid into a Metal can.....let cool... place a cover over can...set in Fridge to keep...

Wonderfull Bacon Grease and is an Easy Recipe

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
Ok, here's the recipe I used for scrapple. Not as purist as that WWduck and 410-er suggested with their recipes, but may be more accessible to folks who take their deer to a butcher and don't save all the bones and such. Either way, I liked it. Here it is.

For 1.5 Lb batch.... (If you want to make larger batches, just increase all ingredients accordingly- example, for a 3 Lb batch, double all the ingredients, 4.5 Lb batck triple, etc.)

1.5 Lb meat (meat = roasts)
2 1/3 cup water
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white flour
2/3 teasp. salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp rubbed sage
1 teasp. thyme
1 teasp. cayenne pepper

Cut roast into 1 inch or smaller cubes & boil chunks until brown/done. Toss water. Puree cooked meat in a good food processor or blender. You want it shredded real fine.

Boil (the 2 1/3 cup of) water and add spices until well mixed. Then slowly add flour and cornmeal, stirring all the while, then the meat- keep stirring! Lower heat or take off heat (once it gets thick it will burn if kept on the burner...).

Keep stirring, it will become like playdough or thicker. It should look like grayish stuff w/spices in it- like scrapple!

place into greased loaf tray(s), pressing mix into the pans w/your hands or a utensil, flatten off the top. Place in fridge to cool. When cool, wrap w/cellophane/butcher paper to freeze or cut up and cook right then and there. The 1.5 Lb batch makes enough for a 9 inch loaf pan.

Good stuff!

BH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts