The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive narrowed it down to the ruger American compact and the t/c venture both in 7mm 08 I handled both and im about to flip a coin and she doesn't mind either one any ideas? these are the only two I want to discuss. let me know if you have any experience with either one?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I own the American in 7mm-08 and love it. Mild recoil, very accurate and robust for such a light rifle.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Venture. I own 4 of them. Don't own a Ruger American but have handled and shot two. The venture feels more solid to me.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
cold creek road said:
cool shoot any deer with it ? I like the caliber due to mild recoil
Notnwith that particular rifle but I have shot many and seen many more deer taken with tye 7mm-08 and it just works!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i'd go with the ruger in 308. ammo is easier to find and cheaper than 7/08. i have both in ruger 77 carbines and the recoil diff is negligible.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
I'd go with a 243. Ammo easy to find plus its a good groundhog gun to practice with.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I know you only want to hear about the Venture and the Ruger but, my 14 year old daughter has a Remington 308 in one of these stocks, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/722524/...=ProductFinding The collapsible stock is simply awesome, no if ands or buts about it. It also has a recoil reduction system incorporated into the stock. Her's is a 308, I loaded 125grain Sierra Match Kings with a minimum charge of Varget, accuracy is incredible and recoil is almost non-existent. It's a super sweet set up!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have a TC Venture that shoots excellent. I really like the way it handles as well. You will like it if that's what you choose.

I bought my son a Weatherby Vanguard youth 243 when he started hunting. Came with an adult and youth stock. My daughter will be using it for the first time this year.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The only problem with those pistol grip stocks is having to completely break your shooting grip to manipulate the safety on most weapons. I'd go with either .243 win, 7mm-08 or if you reload, the .260 rem.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
You can get a Ruger American combo with a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 scope for around 370 dollars Its on sale at Elk County Ammo and Arms for 29 days starting 9-5-14

1 - 16 of 16 Posts