The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Naugles is a great butcher, but a little bit of a drive. Does anyone know of anyone closer to Wilkes-Barre, Mountain Top or Drums that does deer processing?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Got a video years ago done by a butcher up near Blakslee- Joe the Butcher- on how to cut up venison.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Stay away from Naugles. They were arrested a few years ago for stealing cuts of meat from the customers.
I took a deer there one year, before the thief charges, and they quoted me a price for butchering it. It was a big deer.
When I went to pick it up, they charged me double "because it was a very large deer."

·
Registered
192 Posts
What are you looking for in regards a processor? Do you want regular cut deer or are you looking for sausage and jerky to be made....
Finding a good processor in this area is not easy, however I heard Bergers in Drums does a nice job.
and Sernaks farms in Weatherly also does good processing. My problem is the cost to get a deer processed and that is why I choose to do everything myself. There are so many good season mix packetts to make jerky, sticks and sausage and all you need is a grinder,stuffer and time.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I've seen a hunting site, with a specific deer processing site listing.
I'm an old deer butcher from way back, but you never know.
The hunters just list County, business name, street address, and town where located of places they've used.

Plus the processing site may not be year-round. You can do a "find" by county and weed through a long list.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The Country Butcher in Drums does deer in season. Located behind the Pilot truck stop at the intersection of I-80 at Rt. 93

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I am only looking for in season butchering. If I have the time to butcher myself I usually do, but there area days where I just don't have the time to butcher so using someone else is needed from time to time.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Pa-Guy said:
Stay away from Naugles. They were arrested a few years ago for stealing cuts of meat from the customers.
I took a deer there one year, before the thief charges, and they quoted me a price for butchering it. It was a big deer.
When I went to pick it up, they charged me double "because it was a very large deer."
my bet you got only 2/3 of what you were to get....

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i have been working on boneing my deer instead of cutting any bones with a saw, that is where most of the gamey taste comes from....not getting all the bone dust from cutting them....i have my deer process down to 3.5 hours from kill to eating the tenderloins, that is getting the deer out of the field, skinned, boned and in my fridge then cooking up the loins....

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
For what it's worth, we process deer ourselves when schedules allow, but take them to Naugles when we don't have time to deal with them. I think they do a good job, vacuum pack all the cut meat and bag the ground. We have no complaints with Naugle. By the way, that's more than 10 deer they've done for us in the last two years.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
bob1961 said:
i have been working on boneing my deer instead of cutting any bones with a saw, that is where most of the gamey taste comes from....not getting all the bone dust from cutting them....i have my deer process down to 3.5 hours from kill to eating the tenderloins, that is getting the deer out of the field, skinned, boned and in my fridge then cooking up the loins....
I do it the same way you do. butcher the entire deer with a filet knife. I also section the loins, and remove the silverskin. I read years ago about the bone dust on the meat and tried this method. I found it to be accurate.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I do all my own. If I can't get to it that day and its warm I will 1/4 it,bag it and stick it in a very large cooler packed with ice. The price they want for a basic cut is way to high. And this years project is to build a outhouse style smoke house.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have been using the Country Butcher in Sugarloaf sine 1985' have never had an issue. They have recently started NOT cutting cross the spine since the threat of CWD. They offer many services and cuts and wrap very neatly and clean. I know the family and they are very reputable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
my family and myself have been taking deer there for years never had a problem price is a little steep when you start adding all the extras but its worth it. and they has never been arrested im a local and that news would get around quick imo worth the drive and the little extra im a fan of the hotdogs and slim jims

1 - 17 of 17 Posts