The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Deer Preserve

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bobcat1 
#1 ·
Anyone ever hunted or know about Mountain Valley Preserve in PA? Trying to decide where to take my Daughter for a Hunt. Pricing is very reasonable, just don't know much about this place. Thanks!!

#2 ·
i have no info. i would advise asking for references and checking with the local district attorney or district magistrate to see if any complaints have been filed. maybe check with the PGC to see if they have been checked for CWD ?

good luck where ever you go.

#4 ·
Bobcat, I think that is a great idea taking a new hunter to a preserve. I bet if she harvest something this would perk her interest in hunting with dad.

Reactions: bohunr
#6 ·
Spoke to the Game Commission about the CWD. They told me to contact the Dept of Agriculture. Left a voicemail. They called me back from the southwest area because that was where I called from. I explained the preserve is in North Central. Lady took the name of the preserve and said she will call me back. Another person called and left a voicemail. Said she was from the southwest and she could not give me specifics about the preserve because of privacy. I should call them directly. I don't understand when I initially left a voicemail about the name and location of the preserve that I get calls from southwest PA. They could not give me an answer. The Game Commission needs to get back control of this. I can't get a simple answer for a simple question. I also don't understand why it is a big secret whether they are CWD or not. I think I need to speak to someone in charge and higher up. Sorry so long. Had to rant.

#12 ·
once you find a place to go, keep us updated, with photos. it will be a blast.

i took my son to Cherry ridge just outside warren PA when he was 11 for wild boar. they no longer have boar but have some really good deer.

this is the boar he got over 10 years ago. he was hooked and has been hunting with me ever since. he also got the PA triple trophy when he was 15, with special thanks to R.S.B. for some info on a spot i used to deer hunt in ridgway. thats where my son got a 200lb bear.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I've hunted hogs at Whispering Hollows in southern Pennsylvania. Had a great time and brought home much meat. This is very steep land which makes the hunt a little more enjoyable and challenging. They offer fallow deer hunts for a reasonable price. Other exotic game is available, too.

Good hunting to you.

TR

#15 · (Edited)
Hey Bobcat. I recently took my 15 year old daughter on first hunt on a preserve but we hunted boar; not whitetail. It was a blast. She shot a running boar at 63 yards with her single shot 243 win. The best part was she told me afterwards she wants to get her hunting license...so Mission Accomplished!

So, I can definitely tell you that a preserve is a good way to get a kid excited about the sport. They have a great first experience and success.

We didn't go after deer, but the owner told me that the deer are tested by the department of agriculture after each kill and the preserve has to report any CWD.

The preserve we went to was the moonshine ranch in NE PA. I would definitely 100% recommend it. They did a great job with my girl. They have whitetail too. See pics attached.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.