The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read in the outdoor news that Pa tops the nation in deer crashes with 11,571 deer hit from July 1 2011 to June 30 2012 guess we do have plenty of deer in the state

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thats just insurance propaganda... Theres no deer in PA. they were wiped out by EHD/CWD and over harvesting

·
Banned
234 Posts
Lots of roads and cars in Pa.

But you are right Donny, alot of it is insurance propaganda. Otherwise why would they keep telling everyone this?

I heard ehd killed alot of deer this year and some other years, but no cwd yet outside of farm deer. Over harvesting, yes, that is a big one.

I know you were trying to be sarcastic, but actually there was quite a bit of truth in your words whether you intended it or not.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have been very fortunate to hunt almost every county in Ohio and Every count in Pa. Ohio has way more deer. Those numbers have to be inflated.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
chuckalope said:
I have been very fortunate to hunt almost every county in Ohio and Every count in Pa. Ohio has way more deer. Those numbers have to be inflated.
I agree with you 100%! I have never seen more deer then I have seen in Ohio. Even before Alt's Tree Hugging began.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I see way more deer in Pa than I do in Southeast Ohio. Probably 10 times more deer. In 2A, 2B, 5B, and 3B. Some pretty diverse terrain between those 4 WMUs. I've only hunted Athens county Ohio, but if I see 1-2 deer a day there, Im doing pretty well. If I see 4 or 5, it was an exceptional day. However, I certainly see better age structure in Ohio. I've still killed 6 with the bow in Ohio over the past 4 years including 2 bucks over 125", but its takes alot more effort than here in Pa, which makes it ever more worth it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Statistics never worked too well with anyone who didn't harvest a deer.
Deer statistics just remind him he didn't harvest a deer.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I think the numbers may be right, but they are misleading. If you remove the road kill from the south east and south west areas the ranking would be much lower.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
There are a lot more CARS in PA than Ohio. It's not just about who has more deer. You guys forget how many get hit down here in the suburban areas. I hit one this year and narrowly escaped hitting probably a dozen more.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
I think the numbers may be right, but they are misleading. If you remove the road kill from the south east and south west areas the ranking would be much lower.
what??? if it's roadkill in pa, it's a roadkill in pa, no?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Def agree with Shootbowtech on this one. Seeing more deer in PA, but overall quality in terms of age (at least it seems) has to give Ohio the upper-hand in my experience.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I wonder how many of these so called deer claims was people turning it in that way to cheat on there insurance. A deer claim comes under your comprehensive plan on your ins. making it next thing to nothing deductible and no fouls on your ins. record. I used to be in the auto body shop business and it was funny all these deer damages with blue and green paint on there cars, with no hair or blood.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i dont think to many get away with fake deer claims. their has to be proof hair ,blood, etc. and it has to resemble a deer hit. adjusters are trained what to look for and while a few may get away with it i dont think its very common.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Probably more common than you think. Doesn't have to be actual contact with a deer. the mythical "deer ran across in front of me" has been responsible for collisions with cars, houses, trees, bridges, you name it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts