The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of this? I heard of a few deer (all bucks) being found dead prior to rifle season in the central part of the state that they are claiming died of pneumonia. I've never heard of it, but the theory these people had was that the deer were getting it based on unstable and changing from 1 extreme to the other in temperatures this fall. Could it be blue tongue? Would there be any way to diagnose it now that they have been dead for a few weeks?

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had Blue Tounge in 3d last year.Guys that found them said tounges were hanging way out and swollen,like before they died.PGC I think claims 1st hard frost takes care of problem.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Half Racked said:
We had Blue Tounge in 3d last year.Guys that found them said tounges were hanging way out and swollen,like before they died.PGC I think claims 1st hard frost takes care of problem.
These were found during rifle season. They weren't unrecovered from hunters, but they were dead long after the first hard frost.

·
Administrator
30,882 Posts
bigbear said:
Has anyone heard of this? I heard of a few deer (all bucks) being found dead prior to rifle season in the central part of the state that they are claiming died of pneumonia. I've never heard of it, but the theory these people had was that the deer were getting it based on unstable and changing from 1 extreme to the other in temperatures this fall. Could it be blue tongue? Would there be any way to diagnose it now that they have been dead for a few weeks?
Deer pneumonia that only takes out bucks? Seems a bit farfetched.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DIYASUB said:
bigbear said:
Deer pneumonia that only takes out bucks? Seems a bit farfetched.
were you there? didn't think so!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hope you find an answer.Think PGC would check because of the CWD scare?I always hope to check for something not right before I shoot,but don't always have that extra second or 2.Butchering and making specialty meats is a big part of our hunting tradition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts