The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever done this? I've been thinking about doing it some day and want some input. Is it more trouble than it's worth?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I helped do two this past year for Hunting and Fishing day at Middlecreek. We sprayed them with a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt, onion powder and garlic powder while they were roasting. They were delicious. We also do one for our Issac Walton League Youth Pheasant hunt and the kids and parents love it.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I had a friend stuff one with potatoes and sausage and seasoned it, roasted it like a hog. I think alot of tin foil was used around it on a flat bbq hog cooker. Turned out great.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Many years ago we did one stuffed with potato filling. We wrapped it with chicken wire so it wouldn't twist in half and sewed up the body cavity with wire. The roaster we are using now has rods that run the length of the spit all around the deer or hog to prevent twisting.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
John S said:
I helped do two this past year for Hunting and Fishing day at Middlecreek. We sprayed them with a mixture of oil, vinegar, salt, onion powder and garlic powder while they were roasting. They were delicious. We also do one for our Issac Walton League Youth Pheasant hunt and the kids and parents love it.
IT WAS DARNED GOOD!

I was worried anything that John cooked might not be so good.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know of a bear hunting crew in forest county that will roast a bear(when they get one) on a spit for opening deer weekend..pretty tasty..

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I've seen a crew that takes a deer and removes front legs & hind quarters and takes a sawsall to the lower half of the ribs. Then they take bacon and italian dressing and cover the neck and backstraps and stick it in a horozontal smoker grill for the day...it gets picked cleaned every time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts