The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it interesting in seeing the number of threads on deer numbers an PGC's failure to provide everyone a glimps of a deer. I remember growing up in DuBois in the 60's and you couldn't cross the main drag on the Friday after Thanksgiving without getting hit by a car from the numbers of hunters heading to the "big woods". I have seen a big change in the area I hunt now in SW PA. 15 years ago I logged out the farm. The next 8 years I was over run with deer. Now that the woods have started to grow back in the deer numbers are down. Not from hunting, but from lack of food/brows. Habitat is the answer. With growing populations and not drastic changes in "habitat" I dodn't see thing drasticaly improving. Just my own opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is plenty of browse and corn and rye and clover but there is a lot less deer.

If you kill a doe, you kill 3 for next year.

·
Super Moderator
13,350 Posts
ought6 said:
There is plenty of browse and corn and rye and clover but there is a lot less deer.

If there if adequate food and good cover the population will increase in time.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
ought6 said:

lol I never knew every doe that got pregnant was carrying twins.Leaned something new

·
Banned
234 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
ought6 said:

If there if adequate food and good cover the population will increase in time.
Not with our current antlerless allocation levels it won't.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Why is it that someone who lives in the south west corner of the state is always preaching to the choir about habitat. Just because the robinsons spent ten grand on lanscaping that the deer eat and you are lucky enough to hunt someones back yard doesnt make it ideal habitat.

If you guys didnt have sanctuary you would be singing the same story.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Wendel707 said:
No it won't.
I guess these guys think if they tell that lie enough times it will become true.

I got a news flash, it doesnt matter what the habitat can support if you dont cut the tags.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Ive been home here in York County, 5B, for about 5 days now. Seeing deer absolutely everywhere. Just ran a trail camera in an area that gets absolutely pounded during gun season. I archery hunt it. We'll see what shows up when I pull the camera tomorrow. Here around my parents house in the Eastern part of the county, numbers are excellent. I see deer every day, nearly every time I leave the house. I'll be headed to our mountain home in 3B the day after christmas. My uncle has been running cams on our property in the "big woods". Still plenty of deer there too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts