The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wierd question, don't know where else to ask this. I made alot of deer jerkey this year. I never refridgerated it after pulling it from the dehydrator, and you could see the moisture in the bags. The jerky now refridgerated has lost its flavor and has a wierd aftertaste. I refuse to throw it away can i remarinate it?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
milbry18 said:
I have a wierd question, don't know where else to ask this. I made alot of deer jerkey this year. I never refridgerated it after pulling it from the dehydrator, and you could see the moisture in the bags. The jerky now refridgerated has lost its flavor and has a wierd aftertaste. I refuse to throw it away can i remarinate it?
You made it in a Dehydrator...

PITCH IT!

Dehydrators only remove the moisture...they do not go to the SAFE Temp meat needs to be taken to....

That Wierd Taste could be your brain telling you there is a nasty little bug in there growing that can make you puke, have the runs and cause blindness and WORSE DEATH!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I've eaten jerkey from dehydrators since I was young. 20+ years. Never got sick. I've made probably over 30 lbs this year and handed it out to a bunch of friends, no one got sick.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've never had an issue with the dehydrator jerky either although woody is right it doesn't ever really bring it up to a safe temp. None of my jerky ever lasts much more than 2 days though and I've never refrigerated it before

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I'm not so sure. 160 is where the meat needs to get. My dehydrator gets to 160 after about 40 minutes, and its in there for another 7 hours and 20 minutes. It's fine. Now if it didn't reach 160 and hold there you might have an issue.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
If your that worried try this ....

Illnesses due to Salmonella and E. coli O157:H7 from homemade jerky raise questions about the safety of traditional drying methods for making beef and venison jerky. The USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline’s current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160 °F before the dehydrating process. This step assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat. But most dehydrator instructions do not include this step, and a dehydrator may not reach temperatures high enough to heat meat to 160 °F.

After heating to 160 °F, maintaining a constant dehydrator temperature of 130 to 140 °F during the drying process is important because:

the process must be fast enough to dry food before it spoils; and
it must remove enough water that microorganisms are unable to grow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts