The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in 5B ,Berks Co , this year the deer have been digging up the yard and destroying other plants in the flower beds . I`m thinking with the snow and ice this year its harder for them to find food. Its nothing to turn on the spotlight at night and see 6-8 deer in the yard. Even had 1 on the patio the other night.My wife is not happy,I said I can only shoot so many.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
They have been hitting my yard hard this winter...mostly because I had/have oak trees that were loaded with acorns last fall...it was like walking on ballbearings.

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
This has worked for me to keeps deer out of my scrubs, hemlocks, and plants. I buy Irish Spring soap cut the bars in half and hang them from the limbs. They are green and hide well in the green in the hemlock and junipers. It appears it is working.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
This has worked for me to keeps deer out of my scrubs, hemlocks, and plants. I buy Irish Spring soap cut the bars in half and hang them from the limbs. They are green and hide well in the green in the hemlock and junipers. It appears it is working.
I've also heard this works. Another trick is to get human hair from a barber shop or salon and spread it around. I'm in 2B and between our yard and the neighbors to the left and right, the most deer at one time we/ve seen is 28.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I live in 5B ,Berks Co , this year the deer have been digging up the yard and destroying other plants in the flower beds . I`m thinking with the snow and ice this year its harder for them to find food. Its nothing to turn on the spotlight at night and see 6-8 deer in the yard. Even had 1 on the patio the other night.My wife is not happy,I said I can only shoot so many.
I also live in 5B, big fan of helping neighbors out! :thumbs:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I went to Sams Club and got a big jar of red pepper and sprinkled all over my wife's plants, it worked pretty good for awhile until it rained. Ha, ya ever see a deer sneeze.

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
Sneeze, yes had a spike buck and doe come in under my stand stay, brouse around and bed down for an hour or so and all that time the spike was sneezing and I wondered why. I now know he regularly visits Waynzee's yard.

The half of Irish Soap bars hung in late October are still sizeable and appear to be working as I see no new damage and the deer tracks in the snow indicate the deer are no longer going to the areas with the soap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts