The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
left the house this morning to go to my 8am dental appt and as i was driving down the highway, i looked up to my left on this grass hill by the highway where i usually see some deer, i ended up seeing a whole heard that had there eyes set on something and i looked up in this corner to my amazement were 2 bucks clashing antlers and going at it full tilt.first time i seen 2 buck fighting out in the wild as well as next to a major highway.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
One probably is a fan of mechanicals, while the other swears they are just an excuse not to tune their bow.....

·
Banned
979 Posts
Saw the same thing off the NE Ext between Lansdale & Quakertown exits the beginning of Jan, very weird and rare in deed this late in the year!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Pa.Bone said:
That is rare to see bucks fighting this late in the year.
not as rare as you'd think. when does come into heat the boys are gonna fight for her attention. not all does are bred the first time around. or the 2nd. as long as the bucks have testosterone flowin it can happen. most guys arent in the woods this late in the year to see it.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Some of the juvenile does that were just born last spring are just now reaching breeding maturity weight wise so when you have a correct buck/doe ratio you will actually have more juvenile does coming into their first estrus cycle in January and February then what we used to get. It also results in some late born fawns and some people view that as a negative even though it really is a positive since those are does that before antler restrictions and herd reduction probably wouldn’t have been bred and producing fawns for another year or perhaps even two years. Granted many of those late bred juveniles will lose their first fawn because they are born so late but if any of them survive it is still a positive for the next fall deer population.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
122 Posts
Healthy yearling and missed Does wil come into cycle this time of year. In the certain areas there is alot of rutting going on in January.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts