The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One afternoon during October 2009, I decided to go squirrel hunting. I was sitting in a folding camp chair against a large tree to break up my outline a bit. Not 10 minutes after I got settled in my spot, I heard that familiar sound of dry leaves crunching on the ground. I looked up to see a legal, pretty decent 8 point buck walking over the hill to my right and heading my way. Not far behind him was another buck, with a small basket rack. Both kept going until they were just about 30 yards right out in front me. Then they both bedded down! Imagine my frustration at that point. I was really wishing I had taken my bow instead of my 20 gauge! The deer stayed bedded for about a half hour. The wind was perfect and they never scented or saw me. Finally a nice sized fox squirrel came into view to my right, and I took him. I wanted to scare the bucks out with a loud shot, rather then spook them by getting up and letting them see me.

The moral of this story....Never choose squirrel hunting over deer hunting when the seasons overlap. You truly never know what might show up!

even though I missed a chance at a buck that day, I was still very happy to have experienced the bucks at such a close range and by eye level, by simply sitting in a camp chair on the ground.
I wish I at least had my camera with me.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
that's how it always seems to work out LOL. The good news is you were in the woods and got to experience something that is still etched in your mind today.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The problem is, if you'd been carrying your bow and hunting for deer, the deer probably would've never shown up. That's how it works for me, at least.

Deer seem to know when they're being hunted.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I've had it happen a few times years ago. Once it was a REALLY nice buck that showed up well within bow range. I probably wouldn't have been in that spot if I had my bow but I was still kicking myself. Somehow I think they know and just rub it in.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Always seems like when you're squirrel hunting you see deer
and vice versa. Take the bow and you can shoot both!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just think of how many times the opposite happens. Iv'e been archery hunting many times were if it was legal to do so, I could have filled the bed of a pick up truck with squirrels.....peski tree rats

·
Registered
653 Posts
Whats why you take up archery for squirrels.. So you can have the best of both worlds... Just make sure you take orange along,so incase a squirrel does show, you can 'shoot' it, and still be legal

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
turkey4life said:
Ive had a couple diffrent bucks walk right past me during fall turkey season when I should have had my bow.

Me too and more than a couple.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
moosehunter said:
turkey4life said:
Ive had a couple diffrent bucks walk right past me during fall turkey season when I should have had my bow.
ive had more then a couple also. the couple I was refering to were the big ones.
dont ya love it when a big buck just walks up to 10yds and just stands there.

Me too and more than a couple.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
That very same thing (except bedding down) has happened to me several times in the past.

Now ask yourself this. Would you have been sitting there if you had your bow? Probably not.

I normally have bucks walk right up to me when I'm standing beside a tree, wearing bluejeans, paying no attention to the wind, and smoking cigarettes. While at first I was kicking myself for not having my bow, but after I thought about it I would have never been where I was if I had my bow.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i was hunting gameland down here in 5c. it was late season doe with rifle. i had hunted this place hard a few times and came up empty handed. I decided to take my son and daughter out the next week for squirrels. We were sitting against a tree and out came a doe and pretty much walked past us at 5 yds. i had to chuckle. I went back out 2 more times for deer and didnt see a thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts