The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like hunter success has increased approximately 25% from 2011 to 2017.

Hunters shooting at least one deer 2011/26% 2017/34%
hunters shooting more then one deer 2011/8% 2017/11%

the complainers are running out of arguments.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Time = Deer killed

This has always been the case...generally speaking.

It's a fair assumption that with more folks archery hunting than ever before that those that do, spend more time doing it and thusly kill more deer. Factor in the reasonable assumption that the ranks we are losing are either lost because of health/death or because they're not 'very avid' hunters then you're left with a more 'alpha' hunter demographic still out there. Alpha hunters kill more deer....that is not an assumption but a fact.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Time = Deer killed

It's a fair assumption that with more folks archery hunting than ever before that those that do, spend more time doing it and thusly kill more deer. Factor in the reasonable assumption that the ranks we are losing are either lost because of health/death or because they're not 'very avid' hunters then you're left with a more 'alpha' hunter demographic still out there. Alpha hunters kill more deer....that is not an assumption but a fact.

Sounds good but who knows who has left and who is left.

Have Tags increased in that same time frame? Time and tags has always been the case. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Looks like hunter success has increased approximately 25% from 2011 to 2017.

Hunters shooting at least one deer 2011/26% 2017/34%
hunters shooting more then one deer 2011/8% 2017/11%

the complainers are running out of arguments.

Not saying one way or the other if the statement is true or accurate or even if it means anything, but I would like to see the math. I think I read that reporting rates have also declined in the same time frame. Just how did someone come to this conclusion other than from the end result of the harvest estimate.

Could be just another case of trying to use an estimate that works for it's intended purpose in a manner it was never intended to be used. That alone brings up the question of is the statement even close to being valid. Waugh!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Sounds good but who knows who has left and who is left.

Have Tags increased in that same time frame? Time and tags has always been the case. Waugh!

Like I said, assumptions.....reasonable or otherwise. We do know that a big chunk of those that have left are boomers dying/aging out. I make this assumption based solely on personal experiences that the 'less avid' are more likely to hang it up than the 'more avid' among us. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that across the board outside of my anecdotal observances as I'm certain I'm not alone....we ALL know someone that used to hunt but no longer does and we likely know whether they were avid hunters or not and we might even know why they hung it up too. For instance, I know zero former AVID hunter that have quit for reasons other than death/health/age. I know many former NON-AVID hunters that quit because they just aren't that into it, weren't successful, didn't find the time worth it, etc, etc. That's just my experience....maybe yours or others' are different, but from some stories I hear I get the impression that's a common theme.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If the avid hunters are dying off and the non avid hunters are quitting would that not be a wash? Waugh!

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
I don’t think I know a hunter that doesn’t kill at least one deer a year. Most of my friends and my son’s friends kill 3 each year. Where are all these hunters who are getting skunked?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I know plenty that didnt get a deer last year. Some didnt even see a tail of a deer all season. Some of these hunters own farms too.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I don’t think I know a hunter that doesn’t kill at least one deer a year. Most of my friends and my son’s friends kill 3 each year. Where are all these hunters who are getting skunked?

I can think of a few, but even they see deer. The ones I'm thinking of aren't avid hunters and generally are not great hunting shooters, don't have loads of experience, wait too long to shoot or wait for the perfect shot that seldom ever exists in hunting, get surprised by the deer or some other 'reason' for not filling a tag. I say 'reason', because to me they all sound like excuses when I hear them....which is usually right after I busted my hump to put deer in front of them and didn't hear any bangs! Some of them are youngsters so they get a pass but the seasoned guys I've put deer in front of....those are excuses!

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Time = Deer killed

Not surprised at all with those stats. Cannot argue with time = deer killed.......All fact.

Some people are more passionate than others and that leads to their success. No question anyone who utilizes all the equipment and seasons will kill more deer.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I know a lot of guys who don’t shoot doe for one reason or another. Odds of killing a legal buck every year are much lower compared to going out and shooting a doe. Last doe I shot was around 7 years ago.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I know a lot of guys who don’t shoot doe for one reason or another. Odds of killing a legal buck every year are much lower compared to going out and shooting a doe. Last doe I shot was around 7 years ago.
I know more than a few guys that are so strongly opposed to killing doe they buy 2-3 tags a year just to keep others from taking them.. :plain:
Most of the guys I know who won't take a doe are trophy hunters (they don't eat venison), but those who actively take steps (in their minds) to "protect" doe are just misguided imho.
Never could quite understand that mindset... kinda flies in the face of effective population control.. but heck, it's more $$$ for the PGC as they'll just keep increasing allocations as needed to keep the herd in check.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I know more than a few guys that are so strongly opposed to killing doe they buy 2-3 tags a year just to keep others from taking them.. :plain:
Most of the guys I know who won't take a doe are trophy hunters (they don't eat venison), but those who actively take steps (in their minds) to "protect" doe are just misguided imho.
Never could quite understand that mindset... kinda flies in the face of effective population control.. but heck, it's more $$$ for the PGC as they'll just keep increasing allocations as needed to keep the herd in check.
Most of us just don’t have the desire to shoot a doe. During archery I could shoot one practically every time I go out. For me I just hold out for a buck and if I get one it’s usually enough for my family and I at this point in time. If I end up not shooting a buck I will try for a doe in the late season. Some guys are fine not having deer meat for the year and just enjoy the hunt. The buck they are after doesn’t necessarily have to be trophy caliber but big enough to justify the time involved in regards to dragging it out of the woods and getting it processed. It’s just a reality that there are hunters not willing to deal with the hassle after shooting a doe but are willing to go through the hassle if it’s a buck. Especially the hunters who don’t have a easy drag to get it out of the woods .

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Everyone that passes a Doe on land open to hunting is making it easier for the next guy that is willing to pull the trigger. Using the formula of time spent hunting equals kill works best when the number of deer is highest. The lower the number of available deer the longer on average it takes to get a kill.

The reason the rifle opening day has the largest kill on average over the years, tossing out severe weather, is there are more hunters out that day and there are more available deer that day not because they hunt more hours that day. That means tags and available deer is what drives harvest. It works for both the first day of antlered as well as the first day of antlerless. Waugh!

Reactions: JasonN

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
Most of us just don’t have the desire to shoot a doe. During archery I could shoot one practically every time I go out. For me I just hold out for a buck and if I get one it’s usually enough for my family and I at this point in time. If I end up not shooting a buck I will try for a doe in the late season. Some guys are fine not having deer meat for the year and just enjoy the hunt. The buck they are after doesn’t necessarily have to be trophy caliber but big enough to justify the time involved in regards to dragging it out of the woods and getting it processed. It’s just a reality that there are hunters not willing to deal with the hassle after shooting a doe but are willing to go through the hassle if it’s a buck. Especially the hunters who don’t have a easy drag to get it out of the woods .
I agree:
I don't shoot doe (unless it's over 1000 yards) if it's under that I just don't eat it or care to kill it. If it's over that it's the challenge to accomplish it that makes me want to do it. A good buck I will shoot at any distance since it's a 1 time a year at most. Then since no one really likes deer meat at my house it's off to the butcher to spend $250 to have it made into jerky that I give away.

Reactions: jeffppc
1 - 20 of 46 Posts