The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I hunt deer with a bow for may reasons, but mostly because it difficult. I'm one of those guys that likes to do difficult things and succeed at them..With that said, I also like venison and I'm a jerky addict...Some years I do very well archery hunting, others, not so much. I've recently decided to hunt deer with a rifle this year and need some help/suggestions on a setup. I am not interested in a synthetic stock (I like the look and feel of natural hard wood) and I would like something in a 30-06 or 270 bolt action. Have any of you picked up any new rifles this past year and have some suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edit* My budget is $1200 or less for both rifle and scope combined.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Go to a lot of gun shops or pawn shops and look at the used rifle rack...Try to find a Winchester rifle which are high quality compared to other makes...A Winchester model 70,270 caliber rifles are nice...Get a good Burris or Nikon scope to top it off...If you go to bass pro or Cabelas you can look through the optics before you buy...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If you want to restock, you can get a brand new 700 ADL from Wally World or Rural King and Remington has rebates for around 75 bucks. Probably OTD for 325ish with tax and NICS fee. A stock you can finish that you want on your rifle can be had for less than 150, plus stuff to finish (You said you like to work for stuff) A Leopold 2-7 x 33 should come in at around 500 max and is more than enough scope for a deer rifle in PA and shots 300 and under.

edit as triggers were mentioned, a Timney sportsmans trigger is still under budget

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm sure you will get all kinds of suggestions what type rifle to buy with your budget. As some has said go to shops and shoulder the rifle what fits you best. As for scopes? Take them outside to look thru. There gonna look good looking thru in a well lite store.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I like wood too.
With a $1200 budget you shouldn't have any trouble finding a good used deer rifle. I would start my search at a good gun shop with a good reputation.
Varmintmist suggestion on a Leopold 2 x 7 is spot on. Keep the scope set to 2 power when hunting, if you need more, you will have time to turn it up.
I would look at 308's if your going to just hunt deer and black bear. If you think you may hunt elk sometime then look for a 06, if you have no problem with recoil. A good USA made Winchester, Remington, or Ruger will fill the bill for make.
If you have not done so, fire a couple of different calibers to see how you handle recoil.
Once you purchase the firearm buy 3 or 4 boxes of different brands of ammo to see what the rifle likes, along with different weights of bullets, 150 , 165, 180 grain. If you find one thats a real tack driver, go back to the shop and buy all he has with that lot number.
Take the rifle to a good gun smith and have him work the trigger to 3 pounds.
Once you have the rifle sighted in with the best ammo start practicing with it, standing , keeling, and sitting, get off the bench. You can use the ammo that doesn't shoot that well for this. Practice at 25 yards, 50 yards, out to 100 yards, using a 9" paper plate to just get the feel of the rifle. Right now you want to just hitting the plate consistently. "Aim small miss small"
Even after all this you may have enough money to take the wife or girl friend out for dinner.
Remember the age old saying, "Beware of the man with one rifle, he probably knows how to use it".

·
Registered
555 Posts
You'll get lots of dissent here, but in my opinion, at least $400 of your budget should be going on a scope. Figure another $50 for mounts. That leaves about $750 for the rifle. There are lots of options here and many of them are used. For a new walnut stocked rifle, I'd probably be looking at a Tikka (T3/T3x Hunter), Weatherby (Vanguard Sporter), Ruger (Hawkeye), or Savage (114). With some searching you will likely be able to find new 700's, 70's, 550's at that price but it could take a while. In the used market, you could find just about anything. The bottom line is handle some rifles and see what you like. There are lots of good ones out there but find what suits you.

BTW a Meopro 3.5-10x44 can be had for $350. That would be one of the few sub $400 scopes I would endorse for this package.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i never thought i would say this..But WAIT!!
right now the market is crap.. wait till they finalize the whole semi auto for the year..
if it goes in to deer and bear you will see a good amount of guys trying to get there rifle sold off to get a 600 dpms 308 an or other.
while you are waiting look around at scopes and finger different rifles on your down time to get a feel of what your looking for.
spend some time reading about different calibers to get a handle on what you could want to shoot and what you dont want to shoot.
then just keep your eyes open on the local forums an such..
i have a good feeling if the semi passes for big game.. you will see a lot of people trying to dump there rifle.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
There is some merit in waiting, particularly as we get closer to tax time. People trade with their return, or sell to make up slack. 1-15 Apr is good used gun rack watching time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If your gun is going to be in the 700-750 range before optics and your looking for a wood stock I look long and hard at a Savage 14 American Classic. Mine is in 250 savage and is a tack driver. The accutrigger is the best stock trigger on the market in my opinion. Everyone I know who has a 14 AC talks about how accurate they are right out of the box.

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Ruger (Hawkeye)

You'll get lots of dissent here, but in my opinion, at least $400 of your budget should be going on a scope. Figure another $50 for mounts. That leaves about $750 for the rifle. There are lots of options here and many of them are used. For a new walnut stocked rifle, I'd probably be looking at a Tikka (T3/T3x Hunter), Weatherby (Vanguard Sporter), Ruger (Hawkeye), or Savage (114). With some searching you will likely be able to find new 700's, 70's, 550's at that price but it could take a while. In the used market, you could find just about anything. The bottom line is handle some rifles and see what you like. There are lots of good ones out there but find what suits you.

BTW a Meopro 3.5-10x44 can be had for $350. That would be one of the few sub $400 scopes I would endorse for this package.

I agree, the Ruger is a well built rifle and the rings are included with the Hawkeye. You could pick up brand new for $750-$800. FT

https://www.relichunter.com/ $785 for a new ruger at this Whitehall, Pa dealer.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was pretty much in the exact same position a couple years ago and went with a Browning X-Bolt in .280 rem with a Leupold VX-2 3-9. I think .280 is an extremely underrated caliber and fits nicely into your .270- 30-06; shoots flat like a 30-06 but kicks like a .270. Only downfall is finding ammo variety.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Id buy either a Tikka, Browning X Bolt or Ruger Hawkeye probably in that order and put a Leupold VX-2 3-9 on it and you'd be set Or look for a used Remington 700 ......I'm not sold on the new ones.....And don't overlook the 7mm/08 especially if you only plan on hunting deer

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Tikka t3 hunter or savage with a good $4-500 scope. Id really think about going to a smaller caliber. Unless you plan on going out west a 7mm-08 wouljd be a,great deer gun. Much less kick, which makes you a better shot. You will qlso find u shoot more rounds if its easy on the shoulder. As you get older you may really be glad u skipped the -06...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Look for an older Sako, or Ithaca made by Sako. You don't see them often because they get passed down for generations, like mine was, not sold. If it were me I would expand the caliber choice to include the .243, 7mm-08, .308 calibers, but that's just me.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Go to Eurooptic's website, he has a ton of Tikka Rifles on closeout right now at outstanding prices. Why buy used when there's deals like this out there. He's in Montoursville so the trip isn't that bad either.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah, if I had to have only one gun and wanted it to be a bolt action, I would look at any of those that have a 3 position safety. I'm a big fan of the Win.M70 type safety that locks the bolt. I can't tell you how many times I've had the dang bolt on non-locking actions open up when walking through brush. Also much safer unloading.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
$1,200 dollar budget and most folks say to buy used ? nothing wrong with a Savage or Mossberg, both have the accu trigger and are tack drivers with the right ammo.

i will second the price of the scope. poor optics wont bring the accuracy out of any rifle. I also agree on waiting until after the PGC meeting at the end of March, if they finalize the use of Semi Auto rifle for big game some people will sell their high dollar bolt action rifles to buy a Semi Auto, some might not, nothing wrong with waiting.

you could also go to a gun shop and find what you want and then check on line, like buds guns and see how much you can save, great place to deal with IMO.

HEY...i just checked the for sale section here and found a remington 7600 30-06 (pump) and a Winchester bolt action 30-06 plus a lot of scopes some high end some low end stuff, go take a look and go back several pages, its worth a look. you might find what you want and help a fellow member at the same time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
JJ4D, you say you like to do things difficult. I can appreciate that. How about buying a beautiful old Model 70, Sako, Weatherby, Remington or Browning and hunting with open sights old school style.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts