The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience hunting deer in Nebraska? I know they have both Whitetail and Mule deer in certain areas. my biggest concern is the condition of the herd with the droughts and fires they have experienced over the last few years.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Sorry, was on my phone and didn't quite produce the post I though I did! Whoops!

The area I was hunting was close to Harrison, NE. We were hunting land used for grazing cattle, so there wasn't much by way of trees or brush. Mostly canyons and bluffs with grass. Lots and lots and lots of grass. And yucca. And cactus.

Mulies were hard to come by. My host was a friend of mine, not a guide service. He usually kills a pretty nice mulie buck on a yearly basis. I did kill a 5x3 mulie, but we worked for it, and it was a smaller one than we'd hoped for. Saw a fair number of whitetails, including a pretty decent one that I'd guess went into the 130's. We almost went after him, but that was the first morning, about 20 min into daylight, and we were hoping mulies would be more plentiful.

I did see a MONSTER mulie, at about 300 yards. He was on property we couldn't hunt, though.

What we did see were tons, and I mean TONS, of coyotes. 4 in a group at one point, and I don't think we ever had more then 30-40 minutes go by without a coyote sighting. I lost count of how many I saw.

I would guess I saw somewhere around 20-25 mulies in 3 days of hunting (on the properties we could hunt). I saw and had shot opportunities three times at smaller bucks, and I took the shot (and killed) the third one, which came on the last day of my trip.

Probably saw at least that many whitetails, including 4 or 5 bucks. One real good one, one decent one, several smaller ones.

Not sure if any of that is what you were hoping to hear?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts