The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am hunting from a pop up ground blind during rifle season. Do I have to hang 250 sq. inches of orange? Or is wearing the 250" of orange inside the blind OK, with no orange displayed outside?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I would recommend orange on the outside. i bought a top for my 'doghouse' amerstep blind on ebay for $20, orange camo... no deer worth dying over!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I used my Ameristep ground blind this year and never had a deer see me. It is only about 24" high and 60" wide. But I did always put up an orange tape all thru the season. I simply didn't trust the crossbow people from the city.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I use a pop-up also, I have a 12" wide orange material that is eight feet long to wrap around the top. I want to be seen! Also you must wear orange inside, even if you have the windows open 6" and the can heat going to make hot chocolate. I see more deer when I'm having brunch.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I would put some orange on it because I don't trust the
rifle hunters seeing it in the distance if it's blended in
well enough. I wouldn't worry about the crossbow hunters
but it still a good idea to put some orange tape near the
blind.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
If I am hunting from a pop up ground blind during rifle season. Do I have to hang 250 sq. inches of orange? Or is wearing the 250" of orange inside the blind OK, with no orange displayed outside?

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2009/biggameregulations.pdf

Blinds: Blinds can be used for big game (see turkey section for specifics for
blinds while turkey hunting), however, the required amount of fluorescent
orange must be worn while in the blind, or a minimum of 100 square inches
of fluorescent orange material (orange alert band will suffice) must be displayed
within 15 feet of the blind and visible in a 360-degree arc

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I have a Primos Ground Max Vision Blind. For Archery I didn't use any FO, but then I had it set up on private property and those that used the property (and my blind other than me) knew the location.

But for rifle season I would recommend a big 'ol orange covering across the top so it could be seen from all view points. No deer is worth the price of someone else's bullet because he couldn't see where you were.

Dave

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
FWIW, a couple of years ago I could have potentially killed someone in a ground blind on the first day of rifle season. The hunter had his pop-up type blind camo'd well in a clump of hemlocks and there was no orange visible. I was still hunting along the edge of the bench. No deer were seen, but I didn't see that blind until I was about 40 yards away. I did stop and talk to him for a minute....told him I couldn't see him at all until I was right on top of him. He took his hat off and put it on top of the blind. It scared the daylights out of me.

Knowing what's beyond our target is certainly important, but in this case I couldn't see anything but trees. Had a deer come through and something catastrophic happened I don't know how one could deal with that situation.

To all of those that use fully enclosed ground blinds....PLEASE POST SOME ORANGE! It's for your safety and the safety of those around you as well. Had that hat been on top of the blind I would have changed direction and not batted and eye. Instead I was left with a feeling of guilt and remorse for not having a crystal ball. As I moved away from that area I kept looking back....still couldn't see that blind outside of 50 yards, but I could see the orange hat on top until the terrain took it out of view. We both learned something that day...fortunately nobody got hurt in the process.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would not one to be visible especially in rifle season. I would have at least an orange band all the way around the blind.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
That particular guy simply didn't think about it. He was wearing the required orange (and then some), but hadn't hunted from a blind like that before. I can see how one might not consider something like that. I don't think I could personally overlook that. He didn't waste any time putting his hat up on top of that blind. He was shaken by it too.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I wasn't pointing out anyone in particular, mostly the guys that don't want to wear orange at all. In your case it makes me wonder how many times this may have happened to any of us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts