The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some times it doesn't pay to listen to others! Here is an example: SATURDAY.
We went to our area we have doe tags for and each person,3 of us,go to our chosen spot. My son is a wonders around and dogs for us. My son-in law we drop off 1/4 of the way up the ridge. I go to the top and and just walk and watch the old feed plot that is about like an old power line.
It was so windy and i was cold so after a 2 hours of my eyes drying out i went to set in my car. As cold as it gets the Amish,if you are familiar with them,always wear black clothes and a straw hat ?
I am setting in my Blazer and see an Orange outfit coming down the mowed lane on the ridge! It is coming fast! It gets to where i am in the parking lot and runs in a circle and heads back out onto the ridge. The guy was like in a half full running mode?It was an Amish fellow dressed in their black style cloths with and orange vest and and an orange beannie cap pulled onto his straw hat !!!!
I got out of my car to take a look around and i hear a shot towards where my son-in law is posted. I turn my radio on to see if his was on. I ask him" Did you shoot?" He answers "YES". Did you get one? He says i hit in the shoulder at 50 or so yards broad side! It went into the thicket and i can't see where it went! This spot is all very thick black berry bushes and is all up hill! "I am looking but can't find it."
Then a guy comes on the radio and says "IT RAN UP TO THE TOP TO THE TURNIP FIELD AND FELL OVER> IT IS LAYING HERE!"My son-in law starts up the hill,into the huge brier patch. A half and hour later my son comes and gets the info and heads out thru towards the place the guys say it is laying. In the mean time the other but can't get thru the briers and turned around to go back down and come up the road?
My son walks out the feed plot for a mile and can't find the deer. The others guys come on the radio and say"Come on till you see us we are by the deer." The boy says to them "I can't see you guys and i ran out of turnip patch to go thru . "
" JUST WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?" My boy says!
"WE ARE ABOVE SO AND SO'S STORE ON SUCH AND SUCH GAME LANDS BY THE TURNIP PATCH !"
I hear my son answer them " HOLY POOP<YOU GUYS ARE 4 and 1/2 MILES AWAY FROM US!"
2 hours later the 2 boys are back to where it was shot at and find it in the briers about 50 yards from where he shot it.
The Son-in law,who is a fairly new hunter,is a torn up from the briers and bloody,but he learned a lesson he won't forget?
Always go to where you last seen what you shot at.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I can't STAND listening to half the idiots that buy a walkie talkie for hunting. I've heard evey thing from a wife telling her husband a deer was coming right at him and then chewing him out for not responding back, to another guys retirement and what movie they watched last night. I swear that these morons spend a total of 3 days in the woods each year hunting and can't even shut their trap for those days. We had a group one year babbling for half an hour while setting up a drive. It was getting to the point the entire area knew their whole life stories. Well, the drivers kept asking if the standers were ready every 5 seconds. About 30 seconds of this and I said "yep, we're ready Bill, head on out". We immediately heard the drivers start yelling. Unfortunately the standers probably weren't gonna be ready for another 20 minutes lol.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I only carry a walkie-talkie anymore for the entertainment they bring during the off hours around mid day. Set the puppy on scan, hone in on the most gullible group i can find, and see how far I can get them to hike. Sounds like someone was having a good time with WillyP's son. :Clap_zpsb2b1fe37:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
That's pretty impressive if your walkie talkie is getting 4.5 miles of range. Our 2-ways struggle with 1 mile.

We only turn ours on if we hear a shot. To check and see if anyone of our guys needs a hand. We usually turn them on for about 5-10 minutes after a shot, then turn them off. We also turn them on qt quitting time and leave them on until the last man is back to the cabin.

I would never leave mine on throughout the day. Too much risk of noise at the wrong time. Although I'm rethinking that as we have a couple of guys in camp that are in their 80s.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOL,we were on top of a ridge and the other guys were also . Mine are rated for 16 miles.
We have them ,as you said to see if or who shot and if they need help.[Not on all the time.] Also me being 70 so they know where i am and how i am doing. Cell phone don't work there.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
If you want to have fun,get on a common frequency and say,"Dad,I just got one."Then just shut up.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I carry a two-way radio and find it amusing to listen to some of the conversations. Beats the boredom of not seeing any deer.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
If you want to have fun,get on a common frequency and say,"Dad,I just got one."Then just shut up.

Your evil!:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
My question is - what is your call sign?

The FRS radios are only one half of one watt.

The 16 mile versions are GMRS and requires a license.

Where I hunt at, on top of an 1800' ridge, I can easily hear 5 miles in most directions.
Lately all the chatter is nothing but Amish, they have taken over the local community and decided that they were going to use GMRS frequencies for their own personal communications - like a telephone.

Had the Game Warden heard what I heard between two women talking about how their husbands shot deer and they tagged them for their husbands, I don't know how it would have turned out. Except you don't really know who the people are that are talking unless you drive around with a directional antenna and find them.

After the antics of last years first week deer rifle season, most of the land I once hunted is all now posted. The Amish has pretty much cleaned out the Game Lands. There was 100 of them in the woods the first day last year. This year I only saw one horse and buggy in the game lands. They cleaned it out and moved on to another game lands somewhere else.

If you have good radios and you learn how to use the privacy codes, you can pretty much squelch out all the other traffic other then your own group.
The idiots with the Rodger Beep and DCS tones are the ones that drives me nuts!

Like others has said, they can't shut up long enough to see a deer, and they think that they are Howard Cosell and that they have to do a play by play of every event in the woods..

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
We stopped using Walkie-Talkies a long time ago. Much easier to just send a text message via the trusty cell phone. Range is unlimited, plus all communication between your party is private.
Range is unlimited, but very few places that I hunt have service.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts

Or wait until you hear something like "Bill, they're headed your way", then start whispering "Bill big buck, right in front of you! SHOOT! What are you waiting for, shoot!!"

I had a friend of mine laughing so hard one day, he couldn't have shot a deer if it stood 5 feet in front of him. The unknowns on the same frequency were trying to figure out where I was so they could make a concerted effort to beat me up.

I'm either the worst or best person to give a radio to, depending on your point of view.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cell towers are built where they do the most good, usually high atop a hill or tower or roof top.
There is no profit building a cell tower to cover the game lands, where the gate is normally locked and the only traffic is a couple of months out of the year when the gate is open.

Most of the places where I hunt, there is no coverage.

The new MURS radios are probably a groups best bet and reliable two way radio service without a license. It gives you a little more power, on VHF frequencies not normally used by hunters. The key is not to use them to inform people about deer activity. A person could get into a lot of trouble if they get caught telling someone - get ready, there is a big buck coming your way!

The Amish has been using GMRS - and talking in German, which is verboten..
A couple of Heil Hitlers and Zig Heil's and they get the picture..
For some reason, the Amish has become Public Enemy Number 1 around here!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Three years back I had a group of boneheads hunting just into my left off a pipeline I was sitting on off of 274 outside of New Germantown. They were talking about cheerleaders, movies, you name it. The old guy even told his grandson "now remember son, if you see something move make sure it's a deer before you shoot"! Seriously!! This is something you need to tell a hunter on OPENING DAY!! Anyway, not long after getting settled a 7 point crossed below me into the woods where they were set up. It was moving too fast for me to get a decent shot on it but I wasn't sweating it. With these "hunters" yacking more than a limo full of girls on prom night I was sure he was coming back. Sure enough, 10 minutes later here he comes and BAM, I drop him where he stood. Immediately the radio lights up with these guys trying to figure out who in their group shot. I wait about 5 minutes until they finally shut up and say "hey guys, I'm not in your group but thanks for spending all morning jabbering about your life stories. You turned that buck right back around to me"!! The radios obviously went silent lol.

Reactions: hd833

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
One opening morning a few years back I heard a lot of chatter on my walkie talkie. Well I just started whispering into the radio real softly, " oh my god, that is the biggest buck I've ever seen. " He going into that thicket on the bank".. I remained quiet for a few minute. Then it happened like I thought. I musta had a dozen people telling what I should do, how I should approach that thicket downwind, and all other strategies. I shouldn't of fibbed, but it sure was funny..

·
Registered
321 Posts
back in the 1990's I was hunting fall turkey in Tioga County and heard 2 guys on walkie talkies,

1st guy asks 2nd guy-----where are you? you should be out to the road by now.
2nd guy answers--- I'm in here by this big bog, I found a still and started walking up to it and 2 guys stepped out behind a tree and pointed a gun at me, I jumped behind a big oak tree and I'm stuck here

1st guy comes back on and asks----who are they, are they turkey hunters?
2nd guy----don't think so, I think there running this still

1st guy (he's starting to get a little worked up)----do you think I can find you, do you want me to get the cops, what do you want me to do?
2nd guy comes back on and he's whispering----don't talk so loud, there trying to sneak up on me, and one of them is circling behind me

1st guy comes back on also whispering (now he is noticeably getting worked up)-----alright I'm going to go get the police

the next thing I heard was a gunshot over the walkie and then 2nd guy is yelling that they are shooting at him, then he asks 1st guy where is he at?

1st guy comes back on (now he is highly worked up) and is talking a mile a minute and says---I'm going down the road, I'm going down the road
2nd guy comes back on and says ------look on the floor, do you see a bag on the floor?

1st guy says (really worked up and excited)-----yeah yeah yeah theres a bag here, there's a bag here (talking really fast)
2nd guy says-----well pull over and open it up, and see if it's as full of poop as this story I've been telling you.

1st guy says----aw man how could you do this to me?
2nd guy comes on and is just laughing

most of what you hear is annoying, but I have to admit that got me laughing, never heard any more from those 2 for the next couple of days I was there.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Dad and I use them, but we only turn them on at specific times of the day to check in. We only leave them on full time on the hike out so we can meet up or hopefully drag......

·
Registered
41 Posts
Using walkie-talkies for us is a bit of a tradition. We keep them on all day and communicate back and forth with what we're seeing, weather, etc. I've had numerous occasions where deer have been within 50 yards and people are talking on the radios and the deer could not care less.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts